Fly collars

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Has anyone tried fly collars?

The flies were yukky last night and for the first time in almost 5 years we have horse flies where the horses are (we normally get them a mile further up river but only get the occasional one at the yard), so I deosected Jess and got a little on Hank before he did a runner :rolleyes: Jess is also being plagued by the fat black flies, they look like house flies and aren't biting but they are swarming all around her muzzle and irritating her, Hank doesn't seem effected by them for what ever reason.

Last edited:
Think I would give one a go. I think they reviewed them in Your Horse a while back and they did okay. Anything is worth a try if they are that bad.

Think I would give one a go. I think they reviewed them in Your Horse a while back and they did okay. Anything is worth a try if they are that bad.
They aren't too terrible, I've been in worse places :rolleyes: but I really do like the horses to be able to relax away from the flies and without a stable/shelter to go into at the moment I just want to give them as much relief as I can :)

I've got fly sheets on to try an protect the horses. The farrier came yesterday and I was going to take the sheet off so it wasn't in the way but the farrier said leave it on as he had been dealing with a lot of jumpy/irritated horses at the moment due to the flies. The sheet would help to protect.

newrider.com