Fluro gear...

tasha

i'd rather be riding.
Jul 10, 2001
Petersfield, Hants., UK
Up until now I have rarely hacked out wearing fluro/reflective stuff. My excuses being I wear a white(ish) jacket, ride in the light and I dont have any.

But twice recently I have had drivers stop and lecture me on not wearing any. Both times my reaction was pretty much to tell them to eff off (albeit a tad more polite). How I figure it is that at the end of the day it is my decision, and yes really I should wear reflective gear, but the drivers coming past dont know my circumstances: I could've got lost out hacking for 3 hours and it got dark then, or my horse could find fluro gear bobbing in and out her eyeline scary (she does take exception to that sort of thing now and again).

I agree that yes I should be wearing the stuff (just like I should be wearing a BP, boot Kally up to the elbows and have a well lit person 3m ahead with a bell yelling "horse coming!") but I dont want to. Its the drivers lecturing me I have a problem with.

Am I being a div or is this reasonable??

My guess is that they're not picking on you because they don't like you, but because they could hardly see you until they were practically on top of you.

Hi, my personal opinion is that you should always wear hi-viz, from the drivers point of view i guess they would be able to see you more clearly, they don't know as you say about your circumstances, but you can get a tabard for a reasonable price, it does'nt have to be an equine one you can get them in loads of work clothes stores. Has to taking offence to them yelling at you i think they have every right, you would be the first to yell at them if they came too close to you & your horse.

I'm sorry to say that I'm with the drivers on this one - absoultely paranoid about not leaving the yard unless decked head to toe in fluro (summer less so than winter but still wear it!). I figure that giving drivers a couple more seconds to see us is worth it if we don't getting hit!!

I also agree with the drivers. Before I passed my test, I might have been more "well it doesn't make that much difference" but actually it really does, particularly to somebody like me who gets really easily blinded by the sun and is often wearing dark sunglasses.

I think the problem you have is more with the way you feel they lectured you than what they actually said? I won't comment on that as I wasn't there, other than to say there have been a large number of times I have felt like stopping to have a word with a horse rider who doesn't wear hi viz/say thankyou, and good on them for actually having the guts to say something, even if it didn't come out in the best way.

It is just too dangerous not to wear Hi-viz, the drivers tell you off because they find it hard to see you and they DON'T want to hit you, it frightens them that they could have. Drivers tend to give you a little more space when wearing the stuff, they feel you are doing your best to be seen and they respond so be kind to them and you - just wear a tabard at least.

(I've just found a lovely winter Hi-viz jacket by Equisafety that I want for Xmas, it has a roll down sign on the back saying pass wide and slow (which describes me pretty well.:D))

But twice recently I have had drivers stop and lecture me on not wearing any. Both times my reaction was pretty much to tell them to eff off (albeit a tad more polite).

That'll endear all us horse riders to the drivers...

Am I being a div or is this reasonable??

Div. You should wear something reflective even in daylight.. If not for the drivers sake for your own.. and if not for safety reasons then for economic reasons (driver hits horse, claims "he didn't see you".. you have a leg to stand on and therefore also have some come back if it all goes to court)

I think don't think the drivers are out of line... if a few drivers have stopped and talked to you how many have driven past you thinking "she should be wearing HiViz " ...?? Take the hint.

If one of the drivers hit you or your horse it could have terrible consequences for everybody involved.

I will never forget, as a student nurse in london, trying to comfort a person who had accidently knocked someone off their bike. The bike rider had a broken leg and would be fine but the driver was so distressed that they had hurt someone and I'm sure it haunted them for a long time.

It isn't any trouble to put on a hi vis tabbard before you hack out and it could prevent an accident so why not wear one? Maybe it looks a bit square or covers up your favourite jacket but its not a fashion parade when you are on the slab.

There is a vid on the v bands website that shows the difference between wearing flurescent and not wearing it! -- you really can tell the difference -- it will make you think twice about not wearing it.
will try and find the link:)

Oh I agree, yes I should be wearing hi viz. My issue is that it is not drivers' place to stop and lecture me. If anything its made me a bit more indignant about not wearing any.

BIrish - I dont think the driver could stand on that leg - at the end of the day the lanes I ride on have warning signs for riders, have horses and livestock in fields next to them, and it isn't the law to wear them. Just like if they hit a walker - no law as to what to wear when walking on the roads, and at the end of the day the right of way goes to the most vulnerable party.

Zayna - Actually, both times it was in plain daylight - no sun in eyes or darkness either, and both drivers saw me well in time which is why they had the chance to stop, wind windows down and lecture me. I think you've totally missed my point.

Oh I agree, yes I should be wearing hi viz. My issue is that it is not drivers' place to stop and lecture me. If anything its made me a bit more indignant about not wearing any.

BIrish - I dont think the driver could stand on that leg - at the end of the day the lanes I ride on have warning signs for riders, have horses and livestock in fields next to them, and it isn't the law to wear them. Just like if they hit a walker - no law as to what to wear when walking on the roads, and at the end of the day the right of way goes to the most vulnerable party.

Zayna - Actually, both times it was in plain daylight - no sun in eyes or darkness either, and both drivers saw me well in time which is why they had the chance to stop, wind windows down and lecture me. I think you've totally missed my point.

Actually, I don't think I have missed your point, I assumed you rode in the daylight as riding in the dark without any hi viz and lighting would indeed make you a div.

You be as indignant as you like, go out in the dark in a black overcoat for all I care, but don't come on here lamenting your dear departed horse when it's in the back of the knackerman's van because a car has gone up the back of it.

i have nearly ran into more horses on the road with my car and i have never seen them, definalty at least a breast plate and fluo blanket it will be for the best

BIrish - I dont think the driver could stand on that leg - at the end of the day the lanes I ride on have warning signs for riders, have horses and livestock in fields next to them, and it isn't the law to wear them. Just like if they hit a walker - no law as to what to wear when walking on the roads, and at the end of the day the right of way goes to the most vulnerable party..

If only.. sadly it doesn't - I work(ed) for an Insurance company who dealt with RTA's involving horses amongst other incidents..

In this age of litigation insurer's will do anything to recoup costs and payouts and in a recovery scenario will use the fact that you were not wearing HiViz to claw back some of any settlement monies and/or to lay the cause of blame at the rider/cyclist/walkers feet for not making themselves as visible as possible.. Remember that even in the video part of your driving test a horse/cyclist/walker could be construed as a "hazard"..

In Ireland in the Highway code animals (incl horses ridden, driven, led, herded) have right of way to vehicles. A few months ago a lady who was involved in an RTA (not wearing HiViz and leading her horse) ended up paying the driver (of the too close, too fast car) 8k in damages. Another recent case in the UK involved a driver claiming from 2 riders (riding single file) as he ended up in a hedge to avoid them - they had to pay 50% of the damages. They were wearing HiViz!

There is no law but for your own protection you should.

As for the drivers annoying you - as I said.. take the hint! If they are pulling over to say you should be wearing HiViz then there is obviously a reason.. One is random, Two concidence perhaps, more - someone is trying to tell you something..

Wish I hadnt bothered now. YES I SHOULD BE WEARING HI VIZ. I am actually starting to borrow some, so no comments needed there. My annoyance is with drivers lecturing me about it - its none of their business about my personal choice. Maybe if they almost hit me due to no other factor than I wasnt wearing hi viz they may be able to mention it. But 9 times out 10 a close shave will be due to them speeding/being inattentive or similar.

Perhaps they are riders themselves?

I think that it is a bit immature to say that as if they hit you and killed either you or your horse or both then it would have very much to do with them as thay would have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:
So their speeding/being inattentive could affect you but your not wearing hi vis couldn't possibly affect them?
All our actions have a consequence. A personal choice would be one that affected only you. You are making a choice for yourself, your horse and all the drivers and passengers that pass by.
I am sure you wish you hadn't bothered asking!

My annoyance is with drivers lecturing me about it - its none of their business about my personal choice. .

But your personal choice affects other people in public areas.. I am sure it's someone somewheres personal choice to fart loudly and continuously on the tube in rush hour but as it's in the public domain and affects other people they have a right to comment.. You sound like you want people to agree with you that the drivers should keep their nose out and whatever anyone says it's unlikely to change your thinking..

Good luck with the whole thing.. tis a bit ridiculous IMO.

Do you drive?? :confused: becasue surely you know what it is like?

I often find I don't see horses in bright sunlight until it is too late when there is no hi-viz, and that's when I am doing 30mph because I know there are likely to be horses around. Becasee I am going slow it is fine - but I think they have every right to comment if they aren't seeing you clearly. There are serious consequences for them if here is an accident after all - if I lost my licence I'd lose my job, my house and my horse - but if I hit someone I'd likely be found responsible, even if they weren't wearing hi-viz and I was being careful.

Doesn't mean they should be rude - but I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone. But really, if you thought you might get answers you don't like why post, it comes across as very selfish!

Wish I hadnt bothered now. YES I SHOULD BE WEARING HI VIZ. I am actually starting to borrow some, so no comments needed there. My annoyance is with drivers lecturing me about it - its none of their business about my personal choice. Maybe if they almost hit me due to no other factor than I wasnt wearing hi viz they may be able to mention it. But 9 times out 10 a close shave will be due to them speeding/being inattentive or similar.

newrider.com