Flocked vs Cair

pengapenga

The Friesian
Sep 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
I am having the saddle fitter come out next Tuesday to fit up Frits for a saddle and they asked which I preferred. Flock or Cair. I had not really thought about it until now so was wondering what your opinions on the difference between the two.

defentley flocked, because i brought a cair saddle just before christmas and had the saddle fitter out three times to fit my saddle and its still not right it bounces around and lifts up at the back because all the air compresses in the front. it also moves alot when you ride. my saddle fitter was telling me that flocked saddles are alot easier to ajust to the horse as you can put in more wool in them you still can in the cair saddles but not as well. i am actually selling my cair saddle because it has given me so much trouble and getting a flocked saddle. but it might work for your horse you could still give it a try but cair saddles dont work for me and have given me alot of trouble and i know alot of other people that have had the same problem as me so if i where you i would stick with the flocking, but it is up to you and it might work for your horse. good luck in getting a saddle hope it goes well :)

I also had a CAIR saddle and will never have another one. It simply did not fit, however it was adjusted. I ended up getting it flocked. I've heard quite a lot of bad things re CAIR, that it can cause sore backs etc, but I've not experienced this.

At least with flocking, you can get it stuffed to exactly the right shape and altered when the horse changes shape.

Missfliss

Flocking. Cair sounds like a good idea, but it's harder, and far more uncomfortable for a horse. Foxy has never bucked in his entire life, until I bought him a cair saddle. That went back and I now have my nice jefferies one (that I wanted in the first place!)

Ellie

I'm very impressed by Cair. I have used Bates Caprilli Saddles with Cair on four horses. They have all gone well in them and I find them comfortable to. I wouldn't rule out a flocked saddle, but due to my experiences, I guess I always look at Cair first.

My first instinct is to go with flocked. I too have heard some negative things about CAIR. Just thought I would ask here and see what others think. I guess it will come down to preference but I will certainly keep an open mind when I discuss it with the saddle fitter:D

I have a cair saddle it was the best thing ever on my previous horse she was really hard to fit a saddle to and had to have one specially made, she was always cold backed, I got a bates caprilli and from the moment she had it on she was never cold backed?, I have kept it for Bex but will have the saddle fitter check it on him before I use it, with him being young I like the fact I can change the gullet plate as he matures and changes shape.:)

Cairs a really good idea, and it's not hard (if you put your hand under it when in the saddle you can feel the give and movement ;)). It's great if the saddle fits and the horse likes it, but very hard to adjust. Wintecs have very curved tree's so tend to rock on most horses - it can only be adusted with a flocked saddle.

I wanted to get a Cair saddle but I was told by my saddler that it is not that great! He said its like a sponge filled with air which is very overpriced for what it is. I have no experience personally but am going off what he told me. :)

This is the first that I've heard negative feedback regarding the CAIR type saddle.
But then again, one saddle cannot fit every type of horse.

When we asked Schleese Saddlery their view about the CAIR system, Mrs. Schleese replied that it was a pretty good saddle that could benefit some horses but should be fitted by an experienced person so as to inflate the pouches properly and that yes it can take a few fittings before it fits properly.

I was tempted to purchase one a few years ago but hubby found that they were too expensive so I settled for the wintec 500 because I was looking for an inexpensive saddle that had an interchangeable gullet.

Had I had a choice of any saddle I wished: I would go with a good quality leather saddle. Air or flock though? I don't have any personal experience with air pouched saddles. So, I can't say. Sorry.

Definatley CAIR cos it fits my arab perfectly and makes sure that his back doesn't get sore!

LMS said:
When we asked Schleese Saddlery their view about the CAIR system, Mrs. Schleese replied that it was a pretty good saddle that could benefit some horses but should be fitted by an experienced person so as to inflate the pouches properly and that yes it can take a few fittings before it fits properly.

Sure you aren't talking about Flair? Cair is factory sealed air pockets that can't be adjusted. Flair has four bags which can all be individually adjusted to give perfect balance and fit. I love the Flair, as does Pink and would happily have it put into any saddle.

Pink's lady said:
Sure you aren't talking about Flair? Cair is factory sealed air pockets that can't be adjusted. Flair has four bags which can all be individually adjusted to give perfect balance and fit. I love the Flair, as does Pink and would happily have it put into any saddle.
Most probably. Maybe pengapenga should be looking at the Flair instead of the CAIR.
Pengapenga: would that be an option the saddler can offer?

Cair is what comes as default with Wintec and Bates saddles. Flair is only in WOW saddle, unless you speciafically get it fitted (it can be fitted into just about any saddle). I had my saddle Flaired a few months ago - cost me £300 :eek: So it's not a cheap option.

LMS said:
Most probably. Maybe pengapenga should be looking at the Flair instead of the CAIR.
Pengapenga: would that be an option the saddler can offer?

I learn something new every day:D Not heard of flair before:eek: will ask saddler about it. The saddle I am looking at for Frits is an Isabel Werth.

I'm sorry, but I am consistently unimpressed by the softness of CAIR - in direct comparison between two wintec saddles, the cair feels harder when not on the horse, when on the horse, although the CAIR has some give, it has no moulding properties to the horse, the flocked saddle feels much softer and is more adjustable.

In all of my first-hand experience, the CAIR has consistently underperformed.

newrider.com