Floating Teeth/2yr Old Filly

SATRIDER

Apr 26, 2003
ARKNASAS
Visit site
:( NEED SOME ADVISE, MY 2YR OLD FILLY HAS A LUMP ON THE BOTTOM OF HER JAW AND SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT SHE PROBABLY NEEDS TO HAVE HER TEETH FLOATED. I AM JUST STARTING TO GET HER TRAINED UNDER SADDLE, AND HAVE HAD A BRIDLE ON HER SEVERAL TIMES. SAT ON HER TWO TIMES AND SHE TOOK A COUPLE OF STEPS, BUT NO REAL TRAINING YET. WOULD IT BE OK TO KEEP TRAINING HER OR WILL THAT HURT HER TEETH. I PLAN ON TAKING HER TO THE VET NEXT WEEK. ADVISE PLEASE!!!

she could also have a problem with a tooth going the wrong way, i would get her cheaked out, and not put a bit in her mouth till then, could also be a abbcess

My vet recommends having a horse's teeth rasped before you start working it, and not riding it, or putting a bit in, for at least 3 days after. If it's had wolf teeth out, she recommends no bit or riding for 2 weeks.

:) Thanks for your replies, iI think it may be a tooth growing down instead of up, it's pretty far back on the jaw and it looks like it's going to be the same way on the otherside.

:eek: Hi Suetoo
I did not know that, guess you learn something new all the time. I did have her teeth looked at floated a couple of weeks ago, but the lump is still the same. I had a gelding that was two years old and I never noticed anything like that. Had him for two years and just recently sold him, he was about 41/2 .
Thanks for your reply.
SATRIDER

Yes all babies have this, little lumps appear then go when the tooth is through. But you should make sure the caps are not retaining, good idea just to let a dentist have a look.

newrider.com