Flipos Mum - how is the big lad now?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Whenever I think about Tango going into horsepital (tomorrow) I wonder how the gorgeous Flip is these days. How is his lameness/soundness now? Is getting his remedial farriery done closer to home working out ok? Are you still getting out and about? Do you have to restrict your work at all or is it just whatever you feel happy doing?

Questions questions!! Sorry if I've missed an update - have been Christmas shopping online most evenings recently!

Awh, thanks for asking LWTB. I know what you mean - I've been pretty quiet lately trying to do all my shopping online. I have an aversion to visiting real shops.
Things have been pretty quiet of late. After not being able to get him back to Edinburgh, the vet said I could just get him shod normally as he didn't feel the issues were too big, as long as he continued to improve. He said I could try trotting, so we planned to do some short burst in the school on soft surface but I was really really worried that if he was still lame I'd be gutted. Got forced into it though by friend and indeed he was still lame although I'm not thinking about it just now. All I'm concentrating on is the fact that he's no longer lame when I see him hoolying around in the field - so maybe he's recovering slightly, but not yet enough to be comfortable with me riding him. We've got the winter, I'm in no hurry to get upset...yet! If things haven't improved by next spring then I will be checking to see what vet thinks about prognosis - after all, he's only come up with this based on the fact that they can't find anything else wrong.
Found a local farrier and he came to check Flip out, am happy that he understands our requirements as he was quick to notice Flip's confo issues and actually used words (rather than the grunts I'm used to hearing from professionals around me!) to explain what he would do to continue on from the dick vet's work (it didn't hurt that I'd said he came highly recommended by the dick vet). So far he hasn't has his feet reshod yet - he said he would only be taking them off to put straight back on. Instead he's measured flip's tootsies and will be coming back in the next two or three weeks with new shoes.
I haven't ridden in last two weeks - can only do it at weekends now and weather was appalling last weekend, too icey this weekend. I'm trying to control weight stuff with hay rations now, and hope coming into the spring he'll be lighter. Will just need to continue with groundwork in the field at night.
LWTB, I really hope they find something to help explain Tango's issues tomorrow, even just an idea, a hope, that it might be solveable, will help you focus - we're not out of the woods by any rate, but I feel I've got things I can be doing to work towards our goal. Not just scrabbling around in the dark like you must be feeling just now. fingers crossed x

Awww all sounds positive-ish! Like you say, you've no real hurry and the winter off might be just what he needs. And it sounds as though he's happy enough in himself which is the main thing. I'm glad! And a good farrier who comes recommended from the Dick vet is worth his weight in gold surely? At least you know you're in good hands.

Fingers crossed for the big man!

Really keeping fingers crossed for you both, you've both been through alot with your boys lately!!!

newrider.com