Fleece warmth

Not a clue but I've had jess in a thickish weatherbeeta fleece and a no fill turnout the last couple of days as it's been so mild here. I worked on the basis it's a snif warmer than with out but not as warm as her 180g which is the next turnout up I have.

Looking at under rugs they can be 12g, so maybe a cooler is 6g?
Mine is stabled and at night has a fleece cooler, the only thing I will say is they stretch, you maybe better off with an under rug/thin stable rug underneath, or a bib.
I used to pop that on my tb as an extra as you can buy quilted types.

I have a thin nylon sheet somewhere that I normally use for a little extra warmth, layering, even a really thin one makes a difference. I don't normally use my fleece for the reason NF gave, it stretches and normally ends up poking out the back of the TO and getting wet which is worse than nothing at all IMO, thankfully the last couple of days have been dry as I couldn't find my nylon one.

I have a fleece cooler for Ben which I used in his stable when he was freshly clipped. The yard put it on under his rainsheet one night by mistake and turned him out. When I got to the yard the next morning to catch him, he was rolling round and looking really uncomfortable, I had a mini panic as I thought that he had colic, but he was just really hot from wearing both rugs and was all sweaty underneath. So I would say that they add a fair bit of warmth.

Reactions: Lottie86
Thanks, I was just wondering in case we ever saw temperatures where Magic's emergency 75g rug wasn't warm enough whether putting his fleece underneath would work to add a bit of extra warmth.

I think that would be fine. I also think that a fleece under a lighter rug is warmer than a medium weight rug because of the layers it creates. If we had very, very cold weather I might turn Ben out with his fleece underneath, but I'm in the South of England so I doubt it would ever get cold enough for him to need it.

newrider.com