Five days at yard and already upset someone :(

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Oh dear, I hate causing problems for anyone but apparently one of the other liveries was taking her horse out this morning and because my OH was out with Belle in the sectioned off bit of her paddock re seeding and the wind made the bag rustle her horse got scared and trod on her foot, to which I got a rather unpleasant comment, I feel really bad about it and have apologised, it most definitely wasn't intentional, things were going so well too, everyone else I've met is really nice. Hey ho, bound to be someone on a yard I upset I guess. :( I want a big lottery win so I can have my own place.

Horses are horses and I'm sure the horse would have spooked at something else blowing in the wind and stood on her foot anyway... hardly your fault (or your OH or Belle's fault either). Sounds like someone who got out of the wrong side of bed this morning:unsure:

Gawd, seems a bit tenuous to blame you! Maybe a case of the classic 'shun the newbie' situation. Happens in all social groups - they hate anything rocking the safe, comfortable and predicable status quo. You'll get there mrs, she'll realise you're not a psycho (unless you are and in which case I encourage you to take her down), and everything will then settle.
It sucks being new - hate it with a passion.

ETA - watch that one. If she's brazen enough to be confrontational and blame you for something with a nasty comment within such a short time since meeting you, she's got no qualms about being a pain in the butt, no social manners. I'd be standing up to that one so she knows you're not gonna be walked all over in future - she might have been feeling you out to see what she's gonna get away with.

Last edited:
I would suggest she desensitized the horse. For a minute I thought you were going to write the horse took off or something.

Silly cow! I have to say I take FM's viewpoint on this. I would be highly suspicious she is sending a shot over your stern to test your mettle. I would probably send a foray of ammo back and blow her out of the water just to nip any getting above her station in the bud!:giggle:

Take no notice for now, but be ready for her next time, if she senses you are likely to cave in and apologise at the first sign of hostility, even if it isn't anything you are to blame for anyway, she will make your live so miserable at your new yard. Don't let it happen and concentrate on making friends with the other liveries and let her go hang herself!:redcarded:

I agree with both fm and nf. Actually my best yard mate wasn't very nice to me initially - remember all my 'everyone hates me' last year! Stand your ground, if horses are spooked by bags then they need desensitising, and am sure livery will come round.

exactly, Bud has stood on my foot before now when he spooked at something.....ok, if someone was using a power washer and saw a horse coming, I would hope they would switch it off (we had to pass one today could just hear it not see it) and Bud did a bit of a bosanova as we skittered past craning our neck over the hedge to try to see what the danger was.

can't really blame other folks if my horse is a spooky boy - daft thing is if you do the typical desensitisation stuff with him, he isn't at all bothered, his spooking is more of a game to keep mum on her toes.

If I see, feel an oncoming hassle I get on the other side, so when they leap sodeways I don;t get trodden on. Call it experience, you cannot be held to blame for someone elses lack of experience!

can't really blame other folks if my horse is a spooky boy - daft thing is if you do the typical desensitisation stuff with him, he isn't at all bothered, his spooking is more of a game to keep mum on her toes.

With Hebe it's genuine, but you can't desensitize them ... Spent a few minutes desensitizing after she spooked at the red carrier bag I use to carry my stuff up to the field. Fine, no problem, red bag, OK now what ... A couple of days later in a lesson the bag flapped again on the other side of the field - OMG wassat!!

Well, if you can, please someone tell me how. A thing in your hand is so different from the same thing a little way away ...

With Hebe it's genuine, but you can't desensitize them ... Spent a few minutes desensitizing after she spooked at the red carrier bag I use to carry my stuff up to the field. Fine, no problem, red bag, OK now what ... A couple of days later in a lesson the bag flapped again on the other side of the field - OMG wassat!!

Well, if you can, please someone tell me how. A thing in your hand is so different from the same thing a little way away ...

I have to say that I agree with this. My Ben is as bombproof as they come, but he is still freaked out by random plastic bags. A balloon landed in his field a few months ago (just a small childs balloon) and he went bonkers. I think that if the horse sees something in an area that they are not expecting, they will tend to spook at it. It's just one of these things that horses do.

Why are you having to reseed, this is usually the yo reponsibility?

Other livery is just being pathetic!!

Ah eml, not all yards are like your friends sadly, I inherited another paddock full of poo and weeds, not quite as bad as the one at my old yard thankfully, I'm just really anal about keeping my grass in good condition though, hence re seeding as new one has some bare patches.

Livery was nice as you like to me this morning too, maybe just got out the wrong side yesterday.

Yes I think we would agree horses do spook, but its not anyone else's fault. The livery should not have blamed KR for it.

I don't think it is so much a case of desensitizing, spook busting, experience with horses or whatever. You have horses and stuff happens occasionally, no matter how experienced the handler, or how calm and well behaved the horse might usually be or what is happening around the horse. They aren't a machine are they?

Nobodies fault really, just one of those things and the woman was ridiculous to blame someone else for a freak spook from her horse IMO.:smoke:

newrider.com