Fitness for riding - Rowing Machine

Mubashir

May 7, 2019
Bought a rowing machine for a better level of fitness, specially for a stronger back and better cardio. Please suggest on this.

Anything that increases your fitness is good but personally I like to work on my core strength for riding.

I think gym balls are meant to be good - for core strength. I fancied buying one of those space hoppers. Always wanted one as a kid but never got one lol I think hopping about and balancing on one would do wonders. Mind you at my age - not so sure. It's one of those now that when I read the small print says to consult a doctor if over 35.................................(more like over 45 lol)

Reactions: TimmysMom and Huggy
As a life-long rider and champion bodybuilder, I suggest doing squats and ab work. Squats build your quads like no other exercise and working your abs really work your core. I don't do much cardio at all. I'm 66 and still rodeo.

Reactions: Trewsers
I think gym balls are meant to be good - for core strength. I fancied buying one of those space hoppers. Always wanted one as a kid but never got one lol I think hopping about and balancing on one would do wonders. Mind you at my age - not so sure. It's one of those now that when I read the small print says to consult a doctor if over 35.................................(more like over 45 lol)
Those things look dodgy to me. I think it would burst. I have mega fear it would. A friend of mine told me that she was advised to sit on the gym ball. When you could sit completely balanced legs crossed off the floor on one you would know you had good core strength.
Any exercise is going to help fitness. Agree about squats and abs training. It's a killer which is why I dont do it.
I've just got back from a 4 mile run. Clocked up 13 this week. Another 4 tomorrow and I will hit my training target for this week.

Oh dear. I do nothing. I run around 4 days a week after an 18 month old, and 2 five year olds, poo pick 7 days a week (bend and stretch?), walk the dog and haul, or get hauled by a thuggy cob. Does ANY of that do anything healthy to my core?

Go on - get one!

• Love
Those things look dodgy to me. I think it would burst. I have mega fear it would. A friend of mine told me that she was advised to sit on the gym ball. When you could sit completely balanced legs crossed off the floor on one you would know you had good core strength.
Any exercise is going to help fitness. Agree about squats and abs training. It's a killer which is why I dont do it.
I've just got back from a 4 mile run. Clocked up 13 this week. Another 4 tomorrow and I will hit my training target for this week.

Yeah I did wonder about them bursting too!!!!

Reactions: Huggy
Oh dear. I do nothing. I run around 4 days a week after an 18 month old, and 2 five year olds, poo pick 7 days a week (bend and stretch?), walk the dog and haul, or get hauled by a thuggy cob. Does ANY of that do anything healthy to my core?

lol lol you do plenty by the sounds of it!!!!!

Reactions: Huggy
Trouble is at the moment, I have plantar whotsit in my feet, a very damaged arm tendon (from lifting a car roof eight years ago:rolleyes:) and because of this my other arm is compensating and now sore. Doing the horses means never ever getting to rest body parts! So coupled with middle age spread I am pretty doomed!!!! I don't think I'm unfit overall - just not very shapely and toned lol

newrider.com