First Western plus NH lesson

LBrider

Nov 7, 2010
Suffolk
Well today was the day for my long awaited Western lesson, followed by a Natural Horsemanship lesson which I elected to do in Western tack.

I think I was fairly lucky as I rode a horse new to me, who is a QH and she really did make me look pretty good on the whole. The only thing she did which worried me for a second was that I turned her to jog over some poles but she does like to be right behind the other horses so broke into canter when I didn't expect it, which always puts the willies up me somewhat!

Have to say, was nice to have the saddle's horn to grab onto! But generally she was a star, we did some trail games in the western lesson and did a lot of lengthening/shortening in the NH. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm hooked or anything, but I did really enjoy it, riding western and doing the NH seemed to dovetail nicely so I will almost certainly sign up for the course that starts again in January.

Just need to get the boots, the fringed jacket, a Stetson and a lasoo, and I'll be well away! :biggrin:

Hehehe, yes you must get cowgirl boots! I always fancied doing some Western with Storm, but the saddles are so heavy compared to my lightest one (she's getting old and stiff and I try and lighten her load somewhat). Maybe I will try Western one day though.... The saddles do look comfy and yes, something to hold onto with that horn!!!

newrider.com