First time owning a horse

minatureponys

Mar 31, 2022
Hello! I'm saving up for my first pony and I'm close to enough money for it (I want a Shetland pony, which I'm WAY too big to ride now of course.) but I need tips I've never own a horse before, and it's my dream come true.
(1, straw growing in the field)
But here are a couple things I'm confused about, I'm not sure if "grass" grows out in the field if that makes since? in the spring / fall people cut the field for straw. will the Shetland pony eat this? is it safe?

(2, How to keep my pony from overeating)

So here is another thing that is kind of confusing to me, how will I stop my pony from overeating?

(3, Grain)

Will my Shetland pony need grain? I see people who give grain and people who don't, should I give my pony grain? if so, how much should I give them?

(4, Tips)

If you've owned Shetland pony, please tell me some tips and tricks of owning them. (by the way I take lessons, and I understand the cost and time of owning a horse since I've been riding for 5 years.)

Thank you!

Straw, or grain crops is not suitable for a pony to graze as a sole source of forage, they can manage some in their diet but only a small percentage of their total forage intake and not while it is growing, only as a preserved (cut to be fed later) forage. Grass is appropriate, but it shouldn't be thick lush green grass, it's better that it is older, native grasses that have gone quite stalky. You would need to find out exactly what is growing in the field you plan to use, they may be cutting grass to make hay, rather than cutting grain crops to make straw.

There are various management tactics to keep a pony from over eating, limiting turnout time, limiting the size of the turnout, strip grazing, using a grazing muzzle, a track system/paddock paradise are some of the options, really you need to learn about these to pick the one that is most suited to your facilities. You can allow them to eat a little more if they are getting more exercise, so that is also a reasonable way to ensure they don't get fat, you might consider hand walking, lunging, ground driving or driving them in a carriage.

It is highly unlikely that a shetland pony will need grain, they are designed to live on very rough, often (for many months of the year) nutritionally poor grazing (look at some pictures of the shetland isles to see what they evolved to live on), in a place that has very challenging weather conditions (which uses up more calories than temperate climates), grain should only be given if they really need extra calories if they are too thin. You may choose to feed a 'balancer', it is not grain but is a bucket feed which contains all the necessary vitamins, minerals and some protein, but really they aren't even likely to need this if they are on grass unless your land is deficient in something. Be aware that it is quite normal that modern leisure horses are kept too fat, and not allowed to loose weight over winter as they would naturally, shetlands are at very high risk of laminitis if they are overweight, learn how to properly Body Condition Score to monitor weight.

I have 2 mini Shetlands, they are fabulous fun, but 2 totally different animals, Dan gets fat looking at grass, or even hay, and I have to be very strict with him. Hank is much more playful and rarely gets fat so I can be a little more relaxed about his diet. Dan is a houdini, he will break out of almost any paddock, even electric fences have to be really good to keep him in! Hank rarely goes through fences, but if there is a hedge he will push through to go on an adventure, though he never goes far.

I would definitely recommend getting some horse care lessons, in the UK there are various stable and horse management courses you can do, see what is available where you are. I appreciate you say you have been riding for 5 years but riding lessons and caring for a horse is a different ball game and the questions you have asked above are pretty basic stuff so it would really pay to do this before you buy. And also consider that they should not be kept alone, they need companionship (preferably of their own kind) because they are herd animals, so if you plan not to keep them on board/agistment then you may need your budget to stretch to 2 ponies before it is viable.

I would definitely recommend getting some horse care lessons, in the UK there are various stable and horse management courses you can do, see what is available where you are. I appreciate you say you have been riding for 5 years but riding lessons and caring for a horse is a different ball game and the questions you have asked above are pretty basic stuff so it would really pay to do this before you buy
This^^

Reactions: Katie333
Hi there! Congrats on getting your first pony! I currently have 2 Shetland ponies and they are full of personality! Here are your answers and some tips!

1. You will have to find a place to let your horse spend time in a paddock. Today this a debatable topic, but it is 100% essential for your pony to have at least 1 hour per week in a paddock, where it can be a horse. It is also not safe AT ALL to feed your pony grass cuttings. They will eat it, but it is not safe. Hay grows in a field, and if you look a craigslist, there are all ways people in your area who are selling hay (in my area it is $5.00 per bale!), it is super cheap and all horses need it, constantly everyday.

2. Horses and ponies eat small amounts of food, constantly, all day, every day. If you put your hay in a hay net, this problem will easily be controlled. Ponies don't have overeating problems. Also, for grain, you feed them like people, breakfast and lunch.

3. Grain is recommended, it has lots of upsides! Some types of grain are good for performance, others for skin and coat health, keeping flies away, and having long, beautiful manes and tails! I give my ponies Purina Ultium Gastric Care Horse Feed. Shetlands are VERY prone to gastric problems and it is amazing! I highly recommend it. However, it really depends on the pony, some do well with grain, others just don't need it. I give my ponies 1 scoop in the morning, 1 at lunch and 2 at night.

Tips and stuff:

- I find that Shetlands are very spirited and love freedom, so they should have access to a field, at least twice a week. It doesn't need to have grass, just enough room to run around (too much grass can cause them to founder).
- An important factor is if you plan on boarding at a stable or not, because not all stables will accept horses under 10 hands, because they won't fit in the stalls! They are too small! Also, if you plan on keeping them at your home, you have to get up early (I wake up at 5:00) and spend a lot of time with them. At least 3 hours a day. You have to muck, feed, clean, exercise, check over, clean some more, etc. every single day! No vacations with any type of horse or pony.
- Before you buy a Shetland, find a good vet in your area, and give the pony you want to buy a PPE (pre- purchase exam) to make sure the pony you are getting is 100% healthy.
- You said you already know about the price of horses, but here it is again: You have to consider food, health care, and supplies, just to name a few expenses.
- Shetlands need a companion! They love company and they will get very lonely if they stay alone. Horses typically live in herds, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you need another horse. Another animal such as a donkey can be a good enough companion as well.
- Bots are the worst and very common in Shetlands, because they are tiny. Bots are flies that attach eggs to a horse that can irritate them. If you notice a bot on your horse, it's important to remove them so that your horse is not uncomfortable.
- One of my favorite forms of exercise for Shetlands is lunging and running with them. I love their little canter strides!! You can also let little kids ride it.
- If you're ever planning to transport your pony to shows or even the vet, then you'll need a trailer specifically for horses. They come in all different sizes allowing you to fit a few horses into only one trailer.
- They also need salt licks, to keep up their sodium! Sodium is important for muscle contraction, conduction of nerve impulses, and digestion of protein. Horses love to lick salt blocks like many other animals similar to them! It's a good way for them to get the salt levels they need to be healthy and happy.
- You will also need to check the pasture daily. Checking the pasture on a regular basis is a good idea to make sure that nothing can danger the horse. Things like holes, wires, or broken fences can be easy for a horse to hurt themselves on.
- Sheltands are chubby and love food, and sometimes this leads to colic. one sign of colic in a horse is when they don't have an appetite. Horses love their hay, so if you notice your steed not eating, then it could definitely be a sign of something going on.

Hope this helped and enjoy your new pony!!
(The pony in the picture is Cindy, she is one of the 2 Shetlands I have)

Attachments

• 286954489_131096246257535_8877946727458937867_n (1).jpg
    286954489_131096246257535_8877946727458937867_n (1).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi there! Congrats on getting your first pony! I currently have 2 Shetland ponies and they are full of personality! Here are your answers and some tips!

1. You will have to find a place to let your horse spend time in a paddock. Today this a debatable topic, but it is 100% essential for your pony to have at least 1 hour per week in a paddock, where it can be a horse. It is also not safe AT ALL to feed your pony grass cuttings. They will eat it, but it is not safe. Hay grows in a field, and if you look a craigslist, there are all ways people in your area who are selling hay (in my area it is $5.00 per bale!), it is super cheap and all horses need it, constantly everyday.

2. Horses and ponies eat small amounts of food, constantly, all day, every day. If you put your hay in a hay net, this problem will easily be controlled. Ponies don't have overeating problems. Also, for grain, you feed them like people, breakfast and lunch.

3. Grain is recommended, it has lots of upsides! Some types of grain are good for performance, others for skin and coat health, keeping flies away, and having long, beautiful manes and tails! I give my ponies Purina Ultium Gastric Care Horse Feed. Shetlands are VERY prone to gastric problems and it is amazing! I highly recommend it. However, it really depends on the pony, some do well with grain, others just don't need it. I give my ponies 1 scoop in the morning, 1 at lunch and 2 at night.

Tips and stuff:

- I find that Shetlands are very spirited and love freedom, so they should have access to a field, at least twice a week. It doesn't need to have grass, just enough room to run around (too much grass can cause them to founder).
- An important factor is if you plan on boarding at a stable or not, because not all stables will accept horses under 10 hands, because they won't fit in the stalls! They are too small! Also, if you plan on keeping them at your home, you have to get up early (I wake up at 5:00) and spend a lot of time with them. At least 3 hours a day. You have to muck, feed, clean, exercise, check over, clean some more, etc. every single day! No vacations with any type of horse or pony.
- Before you buy a Shetland, find a good vet in your area, and give the pony you want to buy a PPE (pre- purchase exam) to make sure the pony you are getting is 100% healthy.
- You said you already know about the price of horses, but here it is again: You have to consider food, health care, and supplies, just to name a few expenses.
- Shetlands need a companion! They love company and they will get very lonely if they stay alone. Horses typically live in herds, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you need another horse. Another animal such as a donkey can be a good enough companion as well.
- Bots are the worst and very common in Shetlands, because they are tiny. Bots are flies that attach eggs to a horse that can irritate them. If you notice a bot on your horse, it's important to remove them so that your horse is not uncomfortable.
- One of my favorite forms of exercise for Shetlands is lunging and running with them. I love their little canter strides!! You can also let little kids ride it.
- If you're ever planning to transport your pony to shows or even the vet, then you'll need a trailer specifically for horses. They come in all different sizes allowing you to fit a few horses into only one trailer.
- They also need salt licks, to keep up their sodium! Sodium is important for muscle contraction, conduction of nerve impulses, and digestion of protein. Horses love to lick salt blocks like many other animals similar to them! It's a good way for them to get the salt levels they need to be healthy and happy.
- You will also need to check the pasture daily. Checking the pasture on a regular basis is a good idea to make sure that nothing can danger the horse. Things like holes, wires, or broken fences can be easy for a horse to hurt themselves on.
- Sheltands are chubby and love food, and sometimes this leads to colic. one sign of colic in a horse is when they don't have an appetite. Horses love their hay, so if you notice your steed not eating, then it could definitely be a sign of something going on.

Hope this helped and enjoy your new pony!!
(The pony in the picture is Cindy, she is one of the 2 Shetlands I have)
You start by saying an hour per week in a paddock, then a few times a week in a turnout area.
Surely that should be daily.

newrider.com