First time loaning

Abstract

Apr 17, 2019
Darlington
Hi!
I’ve been riding for around 2 months now and I’m currently learning how to canter. With having only one lesson a week I’m itching to do more all the time. I’ve been looking at part loaning but I can’t seem to find anyone that is willing to let me ride their pony, which I can understand. It’s frustrating for me though and not sure what else to do? I need a chunky Weight carrier as I’m 5ft 3 and 15 stone. Any ideas on what I can do? I’ve tried unicorn centres and my riding school but they don’t have anything.

Loaning isn't just about riding, you are effectively the horses full time carer (even if only for a couple of days a week) you need to be proficient in stable management practices, basic first aid and be able to identify the medical issues horses so often throw at us (identifying lameness, colic etc), so I'd look for some hands on non-ridden lessons/horse care experience in addition to continuing with your ridden lessons. Re riding, lesson horses are generally much more amenable, predictable and forgiving than privately owned horses, RS horses know the routine and do the same things many times a day/week, private horses don't have that same level of structure and have not been selected for those characteristics so require more direction and skill to manage which after 2 months of lessons you are simply unlikely to be able to give.
Private owners don't want their beloved horse used as a crash test dummy, and giving a horse on loan to a complete novice to use unsupervised is basically just that because many mistakes will be made. Get a couple of years experience, then look again.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Maybe first see if you can help out at a yard or riding school for a while. Half the enjoyment of having a horse is just being around horses, and you'll pick up lots of knowledge. Have you any friends with horses that you can 'shadow' when they look after theirs? It's quite daunting when you realise all it involves, but if you find you enjoy the poo picking, early morning and in the dark feeds, tack cleaning and seeing to your horse before you see to you, then you know you're doing the right thing. Also do have a lot longer time riding and learning, for your own safety. Your riding school, if they're a good one, should be able to tell you're ready, when the time comes.

I'm looking for someone to help with exercising one of mine. So rather than loaning maybe consider someone who has a spare horse that they need help with riding. I certainly would not let a complete novice out riding my horse on there own. I have no menage so I have to be confident that who ever rides my horses is able to handle him if he got strong out on a hack.
I already have two girls who come at weekends and ride out with me. One has been riding a few years but is still very unsure and novice and is happy to plod along. The other has not been riding long but has great confidence and has gone on to train as a racing jockey and now works in racing. When shes home she still comes to ride my lad. Which is only about once a month so I need someone in between to help me. She was also riding in the summer after school. If it hadn't been for the girls I would have had to retired my lad from riding three years ago because I weigh too much and he has back problems. So there are people out there who have situations that need forfilling. I would look at getting more lessons for sure before loaning.

It's great you are keen to learn more! However like others have said, a loan/part loan is far more than riding. What stable management skills do you have? I'd expect a loaner to be fully responsible for care on those days. You may be better as suggested above, looking for someone simply wanting a rider. Not as common as loans but worth looking out for. Bare in mind 2 months is barely anything and may put owners off. Our horses are akin to our babies so the more experience you get the more likely someone might be to offer a riding loan/arrangement.

Thankyou all for your replies!

I have been shadowing my friend who has a horse for the past year and have been helping her with grooming her horse, feeding, mucking out etc. So I know how to do basically all the stable duties. I have said to anyone who I’ve asked if I could ‘loan’ that I do not mind stable duties included at all! I’m just wanting to learn and not sure what other strategies to take? Feel like I’m at a widths end.

This is a cob that I occasionally ride ( he doesn’t like schooling that much).

Attachments

• E1DD7F7C-00CE-45CD-898D-4617D6C25792.jpeg
    E1DD7F7C-00CE-45CD-898D-4617D6C25792.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 4B25137A-8754-4518-9E27-4BA08E442CA4.jpeg
    4B25137A-8754-4518-9E27-4BA08E442CA4.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
Would your friend who you’ve been shadowing not let you ride her horse?
It is frustrating isn’t it, I think the trouble you have got is that most owners looking for a sharer or loaner want someone who can be left to get on with things so that they get the day to do other things knowing that their ‘baby’ is being cared for and I honestly think you will struggle to find anyone willing to let you ride alone if you’ve only had two months worth of lessons, is there anyway you could afford more lessons? That way you would get the extra riding time you crave and extra lessons should improve your ability too.

It is frustrating isn’t it, I think the trouble you have got is that most owners looking for a sharer or loaner want someone who can be left to get on with things so that they get the day to do other things knowing that their ‘baby’ is being cared for and I honestly think you will struggle to find anyone willing to let you ride alone if you’ve only had two months worth of lessons, is there anyway you could afford more lessons? That way you would get the extra riding time you crave and extra lessons should improve your ability too.
Unfortunately her horse is only 13hh so way too small otherwise I would. I’ve tried to have a look on my friends yard to see if anyone is looking as then my friend would be with me all the time. Unfortunately I can’t afford anymore lessons as I’m paying £25 for half an hour and only having one lesson a week.

Unfortunately her horse is only 13hh so way too small otherwise I would. I’ve tried to have a look on my friends yard to see if anyone is looking as then my friend would be with me all the time. Unfortunately I can’t afford anymore lessons as I’m paying £25 for half an hour and only having one lesson a week.
Just keep looking - nothing to do with horses is straightforward! Go into stalker mode! Hang around as many yards and horsey people as you can. You might find someone who would give you a little lesson or walk out with you in exchange for poo picking, or doing morning feeds.

Thankyou all for your replies!

I have been shadowing my friend who has a horse for the past year and have been helping her with grooming her horse, feeding, mucking out etc. So I know how to do basically all the stable duties. I have said to anyone who I’ve asked if I could ‘loan’ that I do not mind stable duties included at all! I’m just wanting to learn and not sure what other strategies to take? Feel like I’m at a widths end.

This is me. She knows basic stable duties: Tacking up, mucking out, feeding (although he's not on hard hard feed, he just has HiFi Healthy Hooves Molasses Free and some fibre nuts in a ball) and you're good and hard working. You're doing well and should be proud of yourself both with your riding and the speed you have picked up on how to do things on the yard however some proper horse care lessons would do you the world of good. I started riding at 9. I helped out at a riding school, did my school work experience at said riding school then helped out on a private yard for a year where I did 11 horses which were a mix between TB ex racers, arabs, welsh D and ponies. It was an invaluable experience and taught me loads. Then I I did my levels 1-4 (or 5, I forget now) in ABRS Stable management before I loaned and then I loaned and then bought afterwards at the ripe old age of 32 lol I've owned Toffee for nearly 5 years now and whilst I don't consider myself inexperienced, there is so much to know about horses and even I don't know it all, I still ask for help on here lol I echo what everyone is saying. Help out at a yard first and above all, do a winter as that's the worst time lol

Unfortunately her horse is only 13hh so way too small otherwise I would.

He's way too much for you to handle Abi. He's safe and bombproof with a confident, self assured rider but definitely 100% not a novice ride, not at all. He'd take the complete piss out of you, you'd find him too strong and I fear it would have a massive impact on your confidence. As much as Toffee has a heart of gold, you have to ride him so confidently because he feeds from his rider. If he feels safe and trusts his rider, he's fantastic but if you're scared, he starts to question why that is and then he isn't as confident. Also if he has a rider on him that isn't a particularly strong rider, he will be a classic pony and push his boundaries. He royally takes the piss out of Zoe (my 15 year old daughter) because even though she's brave and confident, he knows he can and she lets him get away with it. I get on him and he knows full well not to mess about and try it on because I won't tolerate it. My youngest gets on him and he looks after her because he almost knows she's little but then she is confident enough to get her leg on and push him forward if he tries being silly.

You are doing well with your riding and I am super proud of you but regardless of weight restrictions, Toffee is not a pony I'd ever put a novice rider on. Don;t be disheartened though, good things come in time. Rome wasn't built in a day remember. xx

Reactions: Huggy
He's way too much for you to handle Abi. He's safe and bombproof with a confident, self assured rider but definitely 100% not a novice ride, not at all. He'd take the complete piss out of you, you'd find him too strong and I fear it would have a massive impact on your confidence. As much as Toffee has a heart of gold, you have to ride him so confidently because he feeds from his rider. If he feels safe and trusts his rider, he's fantastic but if you're scared, he starts to question why that is and then he isn't as confident. Also if he has a rider on him that isn't a particularly strong rider, he will be a classic pony and push his boundaries. He royally takes the piss out of Zoe (my 15 year old daughter) because even though she's brave and confident, he knows he can and she lets him get away with it. I get on him and he knows full well not to mess about and try it on because I won't tolerate it. My youngest gets on him and he looks after her because he almost knows she's little but then she is confident enough to get her leg on and push him forward if he tries being silly.

You are doing well with your riding and I am super proud of you but regardless of weight restrictions, Toffee is not a pony I'd ever put a novice rider on. Don;t be disheartened though, good things come in time. Rome wasn't built in a day remember. xx
Sounds like you're an invaluable friend for someone in abstract's situation. Like you, I helped in stables as a teen,(lusting after EVERY horse I helped with!) then paid for lessons and hacks when I could afford to. Fast forward past 2 babies and into early thirties when I could finally find the money and the time to think about buying my first. Had a loan pony first - horrible vicious dangerous thing, gave it back, and realised it hadn't put me off. It can be a long wait , but it's so worthwhile to be sure you get it right. Keep on trucking abstract, and enjoy the journey.

Sounds like you're an invaluable friend for someone in abstract's situation. Like you, I helped in stables as a teen,(lusting after EVERY horse I helped with!) then paid for lessons and hacks when I could afford to. Fast forward past 2 babies and into early thirties when I could finally find the money and the time to think about buying my first. Had a loan pony first - horrible vicious dangerous thing, gave it back, and realised it hadn't put me off. It can be a long wait , but it's so worthwhile to be sure you get it right. Keep on trucking abstract, and enjoy the journey.

I will 100% help her in every step of this exciting horse journey she's embarked on, she is doing SO well. I might seem negative but I'm not. I'm being realistic and do not think for one second that I haven't recognised how well you are doing @Abstract because I have and you are! You should be proud of yourself truly.

But horses are not for the faint hearted as anyone here will tell you.

I didn’t leave that yard til 8.30pm tonight trying to pull his stupid mane lol. My thumbs are numb and very sore, I ache all over and I cut myself on the bloody comb. He stamped on my foot three times and I felt like crying and I still haven’t managed to finish it!! Horses aren’t just happy times, nice hacks and fun jumping. They’re falling and aching all over. They’re being kicked, stamped on, bitten. Early mornings in the dark and bitterly cold. Mud, shit, horse hair. Days where you want to kill your horse and days where he wants to kill you (and that shit is scary), tears, failure, blood sweat and fucking bucketfuls of tears. Not having a clue what to do, vets bills, money money effing money!!! Horse ownership is one of the most rewarding things in the world but it’s also one of the brutally hardest ones. You cannot take it lightly and you need to experience it before you buy or the shock will hit you like a 1000 volt charge to your heart. I’m not exaggerating.

But IF you truly love it, if after all that, your heart is with horses then it is one of, if not THE best hobby in the world. That horse smell. The way your horse shouts when you come to feed him or get him in. Long hacks alone, long hacks with friends, riding for 5 minutes, riding for an hour, not riding at all but just sitting quietly with your horse watching him munch his hay contentedly. Making him pretty by grooming him, finding that itchy spot that he loves to be scratched on, finding what he loves but also what he hates. Watching the problems you had, the ones you have worked so hard at to fix, slowly improve until they're not problems anymore and you're not winging it anymore but in fact you are succeeding. Together. Building that relationship, that bond and realising that when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what people come or go in your life because with him you are complete. Best feeling in the world. After my children, the one love of my life is my horse. But it took me til I was in my 30s to get that.

But you will, oh you absolutely will, I promise you that. Like I said, Rome wasn't built in a day and good things take time. Do not ever lose hope or get disheartened because I'm 150% sure you are as horse mad as I have been from a little girl, I see it in you and you will get your horse eventually. I promise you. Just don't rush. xx

newrider.com