First time in a long time!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale's not worn a rug for well over 2 years.

He was absolutely fine all winter he grew a fantastic coat and was warm and cosy even with a wind chill of minus 9.

But he looked cold this morning, he was tucked up behind and I think was a little shivery, hard to tell as he wouldn't stand still. But I know my horse and he looked uncomfy. So I popped a large towel on him and then a lightweight over the top.

Also gave him some hay and a new section of grass to munch to warm him up. Not sure if it was the right thing to do but would of felt worse if I'd left him as supposed to continue raining until 3pm

Screenshot_2018-09-23-10-16-44.png

Anyone else rugging in this early winter we seem to he having?

Reactions: Aln
Yes my two are rugged, one is fully clipped since a couple of weeks ago. The other isn't at all, but he has a bit of a leaky rug. But it will keep the worst off. To be honest these last two days have been very wet and I think it can shock the body a bit. You'll probably be taking it off Monday as it's supposed to be dry and by Wednesday back up to 18.
I'm hoping from next week when they move fields I can take the rugs off during the day and pop on at night.

Yes Zi has hardly been out of his rain sheet and it's only September! So glad I bought him an extra one. He has two medium weight rugs for later on in the season. I know he can be a bit soft but I have thought the rain very cold this past week - not like normal end of summer rain.
The girls - well, Storm is on box rest so no rugs needed there. Even when walking her out twice a day I haven't bothered. Chloe neither, but I'm getting her a new rainsheet later this week as old bones and all that........

They are all so different. Raf has had his rain sheet on for a while and a fleece underneath last week when it was horrible. He isn't clipped yet either. Jack, who lives out 24/7, has nothing. YO was telling me today that while we were on holiday last week they went to check the live-outers the morning after it had been horrendous weather in the night. One little old flat backed Section A actually had a puddle of water on his back and was cold so he went up to the yard to be dried and warmed and turned back out in a rug. Jack on the other had was bone dry and warm in the depths of his furry coat so they left him naked and he's happy as larry.

They are all so different. Raf has had his rain sheet on for a while and a fleece underneath last week when it was horrible. He isn't clipped yet either. Jack, who lives out 24/7, has nothing. YO was telling me today that while we were on holiday last week they went to check the live-outers the morning after it had been horrendous weather in the night. One little old flat backed Section A actually had a puddle of water on his back and was cold so he went up to the yard to be dried and warmed and turned back out in a rug. Jack on the other had was bone dry and warm in the depths of his furry coat so they left him naked and he's happy as larry.

Aw bless poor horse wearing a puddle!

Ale's not worn a rug for well over 2 years.

He was absolutely fine all winter he grew a fantastic coat and was warm and cosy even with a wind chill of minus 9.

But he looked cold this morning, he was tucked up behind and I think was a little shivery, hard to tell as he wouldn't stand still. But I know my horse and he looked uncomfy. So I popped a large towel on him and then a lightweight over the top.

Also gave him some hay and a new section of grass to munch to warm him up. Not sure if it was the right thing to do but would of felt worse if I'd left him as supposed to continue raining until 3pm

View attachment 94987

Anyone else rugging in this early winter we seem to he having?

Ale looks cute as ever, even if wet or soggy!

Not yet. Have the rugs back ready. Was a little worried about Charlie but put weightape on him today and he' back up to weight. Its cold but rain and wind gone and his coat is coming in now will just monitor him. Rest are fine.

I have been trying not to over rug. However sox is in a open field and he needs to put on weight... he was just in a light weight until we had heavy heavy rain for 8 hours with more to come. And it was starting to seep through. So i put his fleece on underneath. So far that seems to be working very well! Meant to drop to 6 tonight.

I don’t have to worry about rugging but it is great that you know your horse and recognised that he was cold. I read somewhere recently that the biggest reason people rug horses is due to peer pressure. No one wants to be the odd one out so horses are put in rugs who don’t need them.

newrider.com