First time horse owner

Islab

Jul 16, 2021
Just about to get on the ownership rollercoaster, and feeling a tad overwhelmed. Any advice for keeping me sane? Or has that ship sailed?

Reactions: Jessey

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I'm envious - it's an exciting time! Have fun and ask anyone and everyone for tips and advice about anything and everything. And post pics - lots of them!

Reactions: Islab and Trewsers

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Haha welcome to NR 😁 the ship has sailed 😉 but enjoy the journey because it’s an epic one!
Remember horses will be horses, they do stuff we wonder why (normally involving a vets bill) all the time, it’s not always our fault! But equally they do feed off of us, so don’t be shy about looking at yourself for a clue if your chosen companion is being a plonker 😉 but mostly, just live in the moment and enjoy every single one!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
You're right, that ship clearly sailed a while ago 🤣

First and foremost buy a horse you feel happy with, not one you think you might grow into, and then enjoy him or her. People have differing views on how things should be done, so by all means listen to advice but don't feel you have to take it. With a new horse there's always a settling in period and a few hiccups, don't feel you've done something wrong it's just how it is. Avoid tackshops - you'll go in wanting a hoofpick and come out with rugs, treats, brushes and a very light wallet 🤣

Above all else remember to breathe, enjoy yourself, and don't expect perfection.

Reactions: Islab and Huggy

Islab

Jul 16, 2021
You're right, that ship clearly sailed a while ago 🤣

First and foremost buy a horse you feel happy with, not one you think you might grow into, and then enjoy him or her. People have differing views on how things should be done, so by all means listen to advice but don't feel you have to take it. With a new horse there's always a settling in period and a few hiccups, don't feel you've done something wrong it's just how it is. Avoid tackshops - you'll go in wanting a hoofpick and come out with rugs, treats, brushes and a very light wallet 🤣

Above all else remember to breathe, enjoy yourself, and don't expect perfection.
Great advice thank you, I’ve fallen in love with his nature (highland pony is my dream) and know I’m going to be tested, sort of looking forward to the challenge, just have to take one step at a time! Will def avoid tack shop, my husband already having kittens at initial cost!

Reactions: lauren123 and Huggy

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Oh a Highland, how gorgeous! I actually just sold a 3 year old Highland X youngster who was supposed to turn out my dream horse but in fact showed me that I didn't know horses or ride well enough to bring up a youngster ;) but I hope yours is the pony of your dreams. Please do show us pictures when you can!

Reactions: Huggy

Islab

Jul 16, 2021
Haha welcome to NR 😁 the ship has sailed 😉 but enjoy the journey because it’s an epic one!
Remember horses will be horses, they do stuff we wonder why (normally involving a vets bill) all the time, it’s not always our fault! But equally they do feed off of us, so don’t be shy about looking at yourself for a clue if your chosen companion is being a plonker 😉 but mostly, just live in the moment and enjoy every single one!
Thank you!
Oh a Highland, how gorgeous! I actually just sold a 3 year old Highland X youngster who was supposed to turn out my dream horse but in fact showed me that I didn't know horses or ride well enough to bring up a youngster ;) but I hope yours is the pony of your dreams. Please do show us pictures when you can!

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
Highlands are great. I “backed” a friends highland mare. When I say “backed” I got on and said let’s go. Within 2 weeks she had learned everything I wanted to teach her. Her owner still has her and she hasn’t put a foot wrong and that was Erm 13? Years ago. She must have been here before as she just got everything!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Oh Sharon he's GORGEOUS! Once upon a time I rode a Percheron, it was the most amazing experience, such a big horse and so much power and so sweet natured. Apollo is beautiful. Welcome to NR!