First time DIY livery horse owner must haves + tips

Spider

Feb 19, 2008
What are the best tips for a first time horse owner on DIY??

Also, what are the most essential 'can not live without' items to buy when your on DIY?

Just wondering :D

Does DIY liveries need their own wheel barrows ect...??

An alarm clock (so you can get out of bed early to do your horses before going to work!)

My best tip is to get used to early mornings! You will generally need your own wheelbarrow, shavings fork, broom, feed buckets, dustbins for feed, grooming kit and a big bucket for water. Trugs are great, you can get them much cheaper in B&Q or poundsaver shops. I have two large ones, one for water and the other for baths. I have 4 smaller ones, for feeds. I make them all up so if I can't get down there I can ask a neighbour to feed and it's just a case of picking up a made up bucket. Haynets, get at least 2 so you can hang one up and have another made up on standby for replacing in the morning. Buy a nice strong lockbox, the biggest you can fit in your space, to keep your bits in. If big enough, you can keep your saddle in there too, I do. A big strong lock, with extra keys. A cowboy stetson for wet weather, plenty of cheap latex gloves for the mucky jobs.

I would also label all your stuff if on a yard, not for the fact people will pinch things, but things do go astray ( even yard dogs running of with your brushes!!)

You will know whats yours with no problems. :)

i have all mine on DIY and this is what i own bearing in mind i have 4

shavings fork
pitch fork
shovel
yard brush
wheelbarrow
brush and shovel
3 feed bins,
lock box
2 of each weight rug
6 water buckets
2 feedbuckets
8 haynets
about 8 hoofpicks (they always go missing)
other grooming and exercising things

you need alot of stuff remember things like feed scoops and stirrers.

a tip for saving money on feed there is a place in houghton le spring that is so cheap for feed a saved £2 per bag on safe and sound and hifi cubes and £6 on blue chip :eek:

you also need to remember bedding and hay unless included in livery

Depends on the yard - ours is DIY but all provided. At a lot of yards you provide your own though, so if you've chosen yard ask - if not don't buy yet but bear in mind you might need them :)

So do you actually need your own shovels/wheel barrows when on DIY livery?

Permenant marker pen for marking your belongings is a definate. And keep lockable things locked up. In my experience everything has legs and walks.

the one thing i forgot when i first moved to a yard where i had to supply all my own stuff was a bucket brush for scrubbing out water/feed bowls. best thing to get IMO is a toilet brush!

if on DIY and stretched for time buy loads of haynets and fill them up over the weekend ready for the week. also make up feeds and put them in pots, sandwich bags ready for the week.

newrider.com