First time alone in ........ Years

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
I'm alone! And it's really rather weird and rather nice.
OH and I recently bought a holiday home in Poole which we have called our 'bolt hole'.
We are full time carers for 3 adults with a learning disability and mental health issues that live in our home with is as part of our family (shared lives carers) we have been doing this for 5 years now and although it is extremely rewarding we are both rather frazzled.
So now we can take it in turns for odd nights while the other cares for our 'guys' to come and get some peace and seclusion.
OH has been several times but I have dug my heels in using the excuse that my horses give me a break of 'me time' every day, but now I am ensconced in our wee little holiday hit and it's lovely.
It's the first time in about 30 years that I don't have anyone to look after , not even a dog or a horse, let alone another human.
I can please myself and I am.
Wine, music, food, walk to beach -heaven
pointless thread but got to share it with someone :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 8
Sounds fab, really good.

I have been on hols for the past fortnight from work. But have still had to cook etc as OH likes to eat!

Can imagine must be lovely just to suit yourself - enjoy!!

Reactions: Dizzy Woo
Sounds perfect in my book. Enjoy your very well deserved R&R. I had about four weeks totally alone about six years ago, due to OH having to go to the UK with one of my sons for some family stuff. Dare I say it was bliss, and I often day dream about those four weeks - but feel hugely guilty at just how much I enjoyed them and how little I missed the family!:p

Sounds perfect in my book. Enjoy your very well deserved R&R. I had about four weeks totally alone about six years ago, due to OH having to go to the UK with one of my sons for some family stuff. Dare I say it was bliss, and I often day dream about those four weeks - but feel hugely guilty at just how much I enjoyed them and how little I missed the family!:p

I know exactly what you mean, when OH left this afternoon! there was a bout half an hour where I felt completely lost and didn't even know how to relax, but a walk to the beach and a few glasses of pink stuff (white Grenache) and it's lovely, he's a good man but this is true bliss

I love that area ( having used to live there!) Poole quay is superb for an evening out some fantastic restaurants. Infact I really quite miss it and I'm rather jealous :D do they still do all the theme nights on the quay in summer?

Lovely! My background is that I am a retired nurse for people with learning disabilities. It is a great job and service you are providing, invaluable.
Am pleased to see you get time to yourself.
Poole is lovely, I worked there as social worker for some time many years ago so have spent a lot of time out and about that way.
Love the chain ferry across the harbour mouth at sandbanks over to Studland, which has to be one of the most gorgeous areas of the country and a favorite place for OH and me.

I love that area ( having used to live there!) Poole quay is superb for an evening out some fantastic restaurants. Infact I really quite miss it and I'm rather jealous :D do they still do all the theme nights on the quay in summer?

yes I do beleive they do, I know the bikers all gather on a Tuesday and I think classic cars on a Friday, will have to investigate

Lovely! My background is that I am a retired nurse for people with learning disabilities. It is a great job and service you are providing, invaluable.
Am pleased to see you get time to yourself.
Poole is lovely, I worked there as social worker for some time many years ago so have spent a lot of time out and about that way.
Love the chain ferry across the harbour mouth at sandbanks over to Studland, which has to be one of the most gorgeous areas of the country and a favorite place for OH and me.

I am beginnig to realise Poole is lovely, and we only live in Bournemouth so daft that we have not discovered what's on our doorstep. I have always been extremely partial to a little further along the coast -the Jurasic coastline and Westbay is where, ideally one day I hope to retire to

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com