First proper sit-on/ride on my baby!

tazzy-anne

Sep 27, 2007
North Staff's
i sat on Xander a few times in the summer - bare back jobby quickly on and off. never sat on him in a saddle and not 'walked' - decided i was going to go for it today after still being on a high after our lovely walk this morning. hubby held him while i clambered up, we had a few walks around and i felt safe enough for hubby to let go to go get the camera. i couldnt walk forward but i could steer and back up! and yes, i know only too well that i'm too big for him - i'm at slimming world desperately trying to shift it ready for when he goes to get started properly!

so this is me on my un-backed 3.5yr old friesian! elated just doesnt come close...

003.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

i know that if he was that size and 10yrs old it wouldnt be a problem, but i just get paranoid because he's still got a few yrs of growing to do so his body isnt as strong as it appears. but the odd sit on till i lose weight and will start riding him properly wont hurt i'm sure!

OH, I 'KNOW' THE FEELING having sat on Sioned this year, its soooo
exciting:wink:

I would also say its utter nonsense that you are too big for him, you
are hardly gonna rush out for a 25 mile pleasure ride tomorrow are you?:biggrin: Don't worry ANY LONGER :wink:

ENJOY :biggrin:

thanks. i know lots of people know how it feels, which is why i thought i'd post it here to share my joy - i also posted it on FB, but as most people on there arent horsey, they have no idea what a big thing it is. for me, especially as he's my first horse, it's like the most exciting thing that's ever happened!

Aw it such a big moment, I had waited TWO YEARS for that moment and
Sioned, like Xander, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, although also like Xander was reluctant to 'walk forwards':bounce:

So pleased for you xxxxxx

Wonderful pics - and he is very, very nice!:smile: You must be so thrilled to actually be on him - and too big!!! C'mon girl - hed carry two of you!:biggrin:

So so pleased for you, he looks cool as a cucumber...(hate to say I told you so!) :bounce:

He is looking great btw, what height is he now? xxx

he is still quite short really, despite looking huge! a touch over 15.3 - so i'm hoping with that he's not going to make the 17hh monster i was dreading! what about Vel?

He's stunning!!
I've always loved Freisans, when I'm which and etc etc I need to get myself one....or three ^.^

He looks FAB! and you look great on him! remember that although yes he will be doing more growing, that due to his age you won't be working him hard, once they are backed the general thing to do is spend next summer just hacking and getting him out seeing the world - so I wouldn't worry too much!

Also, you've made me feel much better knowing that you've backed at 3.5yrs, everyone else was backing theirs at rising 3 and I was only just teaching Inca to lunge so was worried that I was doing it all wrong!!!! Sometimes waiting a little while longer really doesn't do any harm.

He looks lovely and relaxed there :) these babies can put you on an emotional rollercoaster sometimes! It will be interesting to see if you think he changes much over the next few months, I found that with Inca she just sort of "grew up" over a month or two.

Think it would be great for you to start a blog so we can keep up to date on your progress, there are a few of us on here who are at the same stage with youngsters so would be great to be able to compare notes :)

Thats great news and I would love to have your figure you don't look at all to big for him, Hes a lovely horse.

thank you. yes - i might do a blog/diary - for myself if nothing else. i kept one when i was on TO and sometimes it was amazing just to go back to the beginning and see how far we'd come/how much he'd changed - even in a few months sometimes!

that seems wierd - someone saying 'backed at 3.5'. i dont feel like this is what i've done - as he's going for his real backing on his 4th birthday, but as i guess i've sat on him several times and taught him a few things under saddle (last night we got a few things and it felt amazing!), then i guess i have to admit, he is 'sort of' backed.

it's not just me he's good with either, he doesnt know my mom very well (she lives down in worcester) but she half got on to show me how to mount the parelli way - he didnt move an inch or look worried with her either.

newrider.com