First proper ride in 7 weeks :) (with pix)

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
arranged to ride out with a young girl from the yard today, our first proper hack for 7 weeks after being limited to our handing due to weather etc. We had such a laugh! Both ponies were on their toes to start, being set off by the youngster on our yard who gets turned out in a small paddock by the yard gate (she's recovering from a hock injury and that was the only suitable place for her to get turn out) as we left the yard she started cantering about the field, bucking. We trotted them up the big hill to settle them and it worked, only had to trot much further than I normally have to to settle peds! We were still trotting when we rode into the public right of way! (About half a mile, not far for some I'm sure but I tend to do shorter bursts of trot rather long bouts) they were both great after that and I rode along on a long rein, one handed at times. We had another trot after we negotiated a gate (which I didn't have to get off to open! And didn't get my knee squashed on the gate post! First time that's ever happened!) my young companion was giggling behind me and said that her horse was trying to canter, so I urged Peds into a sneaky canter! (I'd not normally do that without saying but I know this girl and her horse really well and I knew she wouldn't mind, that she'd laugh and enjoy it) we had a lovely controlled canter up the track and giggled all the way home!

piccies :)

Riding through the woods (there are fallen branches and a fallen tree all the way up, I've jumped them all with B but not got the confidence to do it with peds.... Yet!)

image.jpg

Riding back down to the road (the ride is called the triangle as this field we are riding round is a triangle shape, the path goes round the edge of it. In the summer there is usually sheep in here)

image.jpg

The field to our left is special to my friend lisa and I as we galloped through it one autumn. She was on her ex racehorse and I was on B.... Who managed to keep up with the ex racer! We still refer to that field as 'our field'!

image.jpg

Photos in wrong order as this is still the track at the triangle field. :) (think I need to wash his hiviz sheet!)

image.jpg

Peds was very sweaty when we got back, all along and underneath his neck, on his face, under his jaw, round the girth area, by his flanks , and between his back legs. I'm thinking about clipping him as am intending on riding him lots over the next week (I'm on holiday) and starting up his schooling and after work excersising again once I go back to work (plus keeping up the longer weekend hacking) I have plenty rugs so if the weather turns again he's got various choices of Jim-jams. (And he hasn't started moulting yet, he's a late moulter but drops it all really quickly when he starts) I'm thinking a blanket clip, or maybe a full (legs and half head left on) what do you think? (I'll be doing it tomorrow morning)

Sounds like a brilliant ride :D im waiting on my clipper blades to come back from sharpening then im going to take everything off jess bar legs, if I can, I did a trace in Nov and she wasnt happy about me near her ears then.

Was a fabby ride :) heading out again today in about an hour. Just clipped P and turned him out so hopefully he will get out any tickle in the field! I did a diagonal line from stifle to withers, so not too different from what he had in dec. I'll try to upload a pic. He was very good once I gave him a row, he's such a chancer!!

Attachments

• WP_20150215_11_46_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150215_11_46_03_Pro.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com