First proper hack - ups and downs

alisonq

Mar 29, 2009
Greetland, West Yorks
Well yesterday I went on my first proper hack (about an hour) on our own but with YO on foot.
It started terribly, Muffin was very excited but kept stopping and trying to turn round. I had previously been told that if this happens not to fight him but continue to turn him the way he was going so he does a complete circle then kick him on. However, YO said no, need to not let him turn but pull him the opposite way and kick him on. This happened about 20 times in the first 10 minutes, YO said he had sensed my nervousness and had become nervous himself. Needless to say my arms and legs were hurting and I was getting even more nervous as he was unpredictable! YO told me to deepen my voice and get cross with him so he knew I was serious.
Anyway, Muffin did settle down and we had about 30 mins of relaxed riding which was lovely, even meeting walkers with dogs, another horse and a noisy van (on the bridlepath!!) calmly. I found I was able to sense any hesitance and get him through it with voice and urging on.
When the path joined the road and Muffin sensed he was nearly home, it all went wrong again. This time he was jigging about or walking extremely fast, ignoring all aids to slow down and also kept throwing his head forward which kept nearly tipping me off. At one point I even managed to drop the reins (!!) which meant I didn't give a quick enough aid at a junction (fortunately very quiet) and Muffin did not stop but just turned left regardless. :mad: We then 'made it safely back to the yard but in a rather uncontrolled fashion.

Thinking about this hack today makes me want to cry.:eek: Although YO says it went well for a first time (she rides Muffin weekly and knows he has hacking issues), I can't stop thinking about what could have happened at the junction, why I cannot control the spinning or head throwing and why I dropped the reins. I know that feeling more confident would help Muffin but it seems a vicious circle as I am more nervous because of what he is doing. I have cancelled our hack with a friend today (YO thinks would be worse with another horse) and we have agreed a plan to do more walks on own next week with YO on foot. YO also suggested I have a few hacks on her horse as she is quiet and well behaved, so I get my confidence up without worrying about Muffin. We also talked about using a flash noseband and putting a martingale on Muffins breastplate when hacking out. (He is fine and quiet in the school with me and I have no control problems).

Sorry this is so long - but I really wanted to post my experience and get some advice and support from you all as to what went wronfg and what might help. Thanks for listening - and please be gentle!

I'd take it as a positive I never ride on roads at all! Partly because there are too many fast drivers and I get bored doing it, tend to go up round the fields. But if I did, one horse jogs, spins, napps, sticks bum in road, get sweaty and excited, if with others has to canter to be at the front... list goes on, so I don't ride him on the roads at ALL!

other one is a nightmare up the fields on her own so has never been on roads, spooks terrible, if gets stressed or scared then will kick out (often at fences - we have hit barbed wire before now, luckily no injuries) upsets any other horses who dare to come with us, so they generally don't, all in all, bit of a nightmare!

So don't feel bad about your experience at all, the nappyness you will overcome as he'll soon get the message that it's far harder work to try and fight you to get home and is much easier to just do what you tell him and hey, if this is as bad as it gets, the only way is up! Needless to say, I'll be riding in the school today as bit too windy for me to take on the fields!

Don't worry - it will get easier.

My Section D used to throw his head a lot in our early days. He was out of his depth in a new situation and did it if he became agitated. I was advised to turn him in a tight circle, which gave him something else to think about for a couple of seconds. I have to do it very rarely nowadays.

If he naps towards home, I would also advise not letting him turn the way he wants to. You can assert your authority by refusing to let him have his own way and he will start to understand that you mean business.

Enjoy your horse!

Last edited:
Well Im very impressed - your way ahead of me!! IMO you actually did very well for your first hack out. As YO has already ridden your one out and has offered you the use of hers to help with confidence - do you think it would help if you hacked out on hers whilst she joined you riding yours? Just might help calm the nerves if you see how she manages to cope with any spooks/over enthusiasm etc.?

could be completely wrong but would think it would help me and I am VERY nervous!!! LOL!

Well done. I think that's an excellent first-step. I'm sure you will progress in nice tiny steps over the next few hacks and start to feel in more control. Also Muffin will start to get a little more familiar with the hack rout which I'm sure will help

Good luck with the next hack:)

Hi

Sounds like you kept your head and did great with Muffin. It is easy to focus on the bad parts of your hack when really it sounds like the majority of it was great.

I have not had my dales Ozzy for long and have only just started taking him out without another horse and his napping is terrible. He naps back to the old yard i used to keep him at. He goes lovely down the bridle path and then we come to the end of the path and it is left to the old yard right to the current yard. Well Ozzy wants to go left and we have a battle every time. I also do not let him go the way he wants then circle him i just turn him tightly the other way but it is hard, these boys are very determined. Ozzy also plays up all the way home on the road too trying to turn and jig jogging and he throws his head up. I am learning to ignore him and push him on. If he jig jogs i make him trot further he will soon learn.

I am a nervous nellie too and i think these clever horses sense our nerves for definate.

Good luck ;)

newrider.com