First lesson/ride in 18 months...

Hags

Aug 19, 2007
East Midlands
Decided I needed to get my canter mojo back (and not damage horse/totally embarrass myself if I ride wwith YO:help: ) so have booked lesson for 1pm and have shoehorned self into winter jods...:redface:

See you later (when the pain has kicked in!!).

Suspect you are probably hobbling back to the car by now?:giggle:

How did it go? Hope you enjoyed yourself and remember it will hurt less and less each time you ride!:biggrin:

Hi there - yeah, getting back to the car was a bit...waddle-tastic (not a pretty sight). Got back home and indulging in coffee and fag (nothing new there then).

Had a fab lesson - Tacked up (and managed not to shame myself or put things on back to front). Then rode two horses; first a bit dead to the leg - or maybe I just had dead legs - but I think that one was to get an idea as to whether or not I had half an idea. Succeeded in getting into a canter - not sure if I put more work into it or the beastie!! Bit wobbley I thought, but was like the proverbial mutt with two tails as I haven't done it for so long I wondered if I'd lost my bottle. Then number two horse arrived rather more sprightly and we stared doing a bit better. Moved off the leg rather more easily although cantering 20m circles did involve some unsightly leggy-flapping nonsense which wasn't pretty to look at or overly helpful to the horse ("If you think I'm going to keep cantering in a circle with you flapping your legs like that you've got another think coming!"). Nonetheless, succeeded in doing 90% of the 20m circle exercises and cantered the complete school easily.

So, what have I taken from the lesson:

I'm not somewhere between 15 and 30 and nowhere near as gung ho as I used to be (self preservation has kicked in!).

I must ride on a shorter rein - (always did ride on a loose rein) althoug my overall position was pretty food (so I was told; got to say, that made me feel good as I thought it would have gone totally to pot).

My bum doesn't have a magic memory and needs to be reminded how to canter.

My hips don't have a magic memory and need to be reminded how to relax more and go with the sitting trot and NOT to drive the canter/polish the saddle.

Lots more but I'm still on such a high that I haven't had time to process it yet. Just left a message on their answerphone to try to book two more lessons before we have to go away.

Damn, but it's nice to get home smelling like a horse again :cloud9: and due to a fabby teacher, not feel like a total junk-heap of a rider (gotta love feedback sarnies!) :tongue:

Now, do I take the ibuprofen before the pain starts or after....

Certainly can't wait for next time - although legs may need to be consulted on the subject (may be it's best just to take 'em by surprise!).

Blow the hottie bottle - went for the hot bath and last of OH's badedas stuff (great, get rid of Parfum d'un Cheval and end up smelling faintly of pine loo cleaner...nice). OH took it on the chin and has toddled off to do the weekly shop (he enjoys it, it wasn't me wimping out, honest.)...I wonder if he'll take any notice of the list this time....oooh goody, a magical mystery shop! Did warn him that he may get back to find fme :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: with my face pressed firmly against the keyboard!

Thanks for the good wishes and support peeps!

Great stuff!! Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it despite the painful bits - whens the new horse coming?:wink::biggrin:

Well done you:smile:

TBH I would be totally the same, although I have the two Horses and have
been 'back into horses' for the last four/five years, I haven't actually done
that much RIDING, cos they have been Youngsters. Most Riding I did in that
time was when I had the Arab on loan:smile:

I can see some 'leg flapping' incidents coming on myself:redface::bounce:

YOU ARE NOT ALONE:bounce:

Not soon enough. Only fair to new beastie to wait until after crimble (going away for about a month in a couple of weeks- very nice but would rather be horse hunting) and the start serious hunting. Sadly away again a Feb/march for about 3 weeks (again, nice but...). If something crops up between mid Jan to mid Feb I'd be very surprised (judging by the time it has taken others to find Mr Right) but also secretly chuffed. Problem is it would take time to settle in to a new home and I think that it wouldn't be fair on Mr Right, the YO (who would do looking after albeit at a price) or me as I would be fretting about the horse and would rather do it myself (ever the optimist) - but with lots of advice. So realistically (damn it not being a perfect world) the chances of a tsunami of Hags new best friend pics isn't likely to happen before March. Cyber-window shopping is wonderful, but frustrating because you see something and think "ooooh, yes, yes, oh god, yes" and then have to get real that the horse that is for sale will probably be sold before March and if it's not there may be a good reason for it. Never mind, dream getting almost close enough to touch.

Glad it went okay :biggrin: LOL at the flapping legs in canter looks fab doesnt it HEHE! :redface::giggle:

The fag & coffee sounds rarther nice....mmmm....

newrider.com