First jumping lesson

Calder

Jan 26, 2006
Oxford
So, I had my first-ever jumping lesson this week, on any horse. I've been over trotting poles before, and it's possible I jumped one of them at one time or other, but this was the first time I deliberately jumped.

Now in general, I'm not keen on jumping. My self-preservation instincts are strong, and I always said I'd stick to dressage and hacking. However, in a group lesson you don't have much choice about what you do (I suppose I could have said no), so I went along with it. We started off cantering over the poles, then my trainer, without telling me, put up the poles... which I didn't even notice until JB was almost there, but we got over it.

I loved it, and so did JB. He had a completely different way of going, which required a different kind of riding. Sorry for those who already know all this, but it's one of those things you have to feel to understand, so it's new to me. His canter was more extended, both stronger and pacier. It felt like I was learning more about riding as well as learning to jump. Would people agree that jumping can help one's overall development as a rider, including dressage?

Sitting in a chair afterwards, I could feel the canter and the jump, like my body was remembering the motion, and thought: maybe this jumping thing isn't so bad .. at least in the school, over little jumps. XC still scares me, though. Another question: do I need a body protector for tiny jumps in an indoor school like this, or is that overkill?

Reactions: sophie33
Well done!

A BP is totally your own choice. I had one, so wore one for a long time with my horse routinely. But I confess, I no longer wear it now unless I feel I need to. I certainly don't think it would be overkill if it makes you more confident :)

newrider.com