First fun ride...*pics added*

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Didn't think I'd make it as I was poorly last night and felt rough first thing, but I'm glad I made the effort to go because Gracie was fab and I made some wonderful memories. A lot of the jumps were too big but we managed to pop a few logs.

So far, G has eased into spring brilliantly, with none of the explosions we had last year. Maybe it's because she is muzzled when in the field, so not gorging, or whether it is because she is a year older and settled into her life with me. Whatever it is, I'll take it!!! :p

I know I keep gushing about my new saddle but she really is going so well in it, she hasn't bucked once going into canter.... or disunited. I'm thrilled and it is just so comfortable for me.... long rides? No problemo....

The saddle can make such a huge difference. Especially if you are on something generously proportioned. It can make you feel secure or insecure.

Glad you had fun. She's growing up probably. I noticed little changes with mine where she wouldn't/ couldn't listen- to actually I think I might be able to.

Reactions: Native Lover
Glad you had a good time, love the last pic, especially those little legs kicking way on the skewbald pony.

Was this Apley?

Yes, Lissie. One of my faves.... Such a beautiful estate to ride around and always before the flies really get going. We've got another Bissell this weekend and then Lincomb next month.... but I'm not sure they might just be over-full free-for-alls :p

Reactions: Lissie
Yes, Lissie. One of my faves.... Such a beautiful estate to ride around and always before the flies really get going. We've got another Bissell this weekend and then Lincomb next month.... but I'm not sure they might just be over-full free-for-alls :p

I was going to go but ended up xc schooling instead. I'll have a search for those, if you see a dark bay pony pulling like a tank with a trot like a 17.2hh that's me :p

@domane do they get really busy? I will probably get to one of those but will bit her up slightly if it's f
I didn't realise you're not far from me :)

Don't think so! Apley was quite far for me I think but we will always travel to good stuff.

I was going to Bissell but after Harvey's efforts last weekend I now almost certainly won't as I haven't got anyone to ride with. I think Lincomb has been moved to the same day as Cirencester (which has been on my bucket list for a while)

I've done Bissell Wood before and Lincomb a few times. The Bissell Wood one was relatively quiet - the route I did (not sure if they change it) was mostly walk and trot with one road section along a quite busy road. The XC afterwards was OK as its quite spread out and linear. Lincomb gets pretty busy in the lorry park to the point where they have someone directing you to free parking spaces, although actually out on the course it wasn't too bad. The XC can get quite busy.

You can almost make your own fun ride at Lincomb - they have 8 miles of tracks and you can pay to use those and the XC (£20?)

Last edited:
To be honest, we have great hacking around the yard so I don't do that many fun rides, but Apley is a bit spesh.

If I was going to Lincomb, I'd rather just too and use the facilities, their XC course is just fab. Oh and camp! But that'll be next year now....

Reactions: Lissie and GaryB
Where's apley fun ride.
Highly recommend Cirencester. Loads of excellent canters. Jumps are fab. Missed last week's but the ground was heavy going so i gather but hoping to go next month. By May it's usually dried out in the woods.
Keep hearing about bissell wood and lincomb but I fear jumps may be too big for me.
Anyone done Ace XC.

I've done Cirencester when I still lived in Wootton Bassett. It's a bit far from Bridgnorth!! Lincomb has a big selection of jumps to suit all abilities. They start at about 12" with tiny logs. Plus you have water, steps, sunken road, ditches...so lits of things to practise, even at a walk.

Ace is on my list to try. Gracie is a good traveller and it's straight down the M5. A couple of local friends go regularly and sing its praises.

Keep hearing about bissell wood and lincomb but I fear jumps may be too big for me.

Bissell has 2 "diddy" xc courses. One is adjustable and was pretty much 15cm cross poles when I was last there. The bigger one is probably 45cm to 60cm?

This is the part of the bigger diddy
i-mKmG798-X2.jpg

Reactions: domane
newrider.com