First fall (trotting poles)

primrose

Jun 21, 2020
I had my 11th lesson yesterday- and my first fall! It was my first time trotting poles, which I was a little apprehensive about beforehand, but once I started it seemed to actually be going ok. I did two poles fine a few times in both directions, then my RI added another and that was going fine too. I had literally just thought "This is okay actually, I just need to keep looking ahead and trust Tilly to sort out her own feet." when Tilly stumbled, and I flew over her right shoulder and landed in a puddle on the ground. I winded myself pretty badly as I didn't have time to get my hands out so more or less belly-flopped onto the floor (it was the first time I've been thankful for my extra lockdown padding ?) and I was a bit shaken by how quickly it had all happened but I got back on and finished my lesson with a bit of walk and rising trot (no poles!) My 8 year old was watching as he'd just finished his lesson before mine so I felt bad as he was a bit worried about me but I reassured him afterwards.

My RI said that when Tilly stumbled I lost my right rein, so Tilly went left and that's why I came off to the right and that I would probably have stayed on otherwise but I don't remember any of that- it felt like I was just riding one minute and falling the next!

I'm a bit sore and bruised today but otherwise okay and in a strange way possibly relieved to have got my first fall out of the way (?!) and I'm booked in for another lesson next week so it hasn't put me off at least!

We all have falls. Actually sometimes its better to not put your hand out to save yourself. Thats when you get your wrist broken quite often. It is our natural thought and defence to put our arms out to save ourselves. The good thing is at least if you did belly flop you didnt whack your chin on landing either.
My horse tripped a trotting pole, i wasnt riding him forward and giving a clear message and i went out the side door. Dust yourself off if it aint to bad a fall and get back on. It easily happens.

Reactions: Trewsers
I had my 11th lesson yesterday- and my first fall! It was my first time trotting poles, which I was a little apprehensive about beforehand, but once I started it seemed to actually be going ok. I did two poles fine a few times in both directions,

I am sorry you fell. My view is that it should not have happened.
As an adult learning to ride, I too was apprehensive about trotting poles. It is human nature.
It was only years later that I went for some lessons at a different RS, was asked about my problems and when I mentioned the poles was straight away taught how to ride over them. One needs to ride forward over poles and apprehension gets in the way of that.

And there is a snag about that too - if a new rider asks for too much forward over poles, they get canter. My first inadvertent canter was while trotting over poles. I didnt know it was canter but the RI miraculously regarded it as the canter needed to qualify me to hack out. Wich was what I really really wanted to do. I remember my first hack as if it were yesterday so I remember that poles business.

And no never put out a hand. And may be buy a body protector too? If you havent got one already. One doesnt often fall off in the school but a suden spook can happen even in walk.

I'm glad you're ok and managed to get back on.

Eleven lessons is still early days, but it sounds like you need to work on your overall security in the saddle because even without poles horses can stumble or trip particularly if you start hacking out over less than perfect ground. Have a chat with your instructor and see what they recommend to help, lunge lessons can be helpful if they do them, as can have a strong secure lower leg and working on strengthening your core muscles. But as I say have a chat with them because they see you ride and you can't work on everything at once this early on.

I hope the soreness and bruising wear off quickly.

Glad you were ok and able to finish your lesson ? I wouldn’t dwell on it too much, these things happen and as your seat develops your balance and stickability will improve, 11 lessons is very early in your riding career.

Glad you weren't too hurt. Sometimes a non damaging fall early on is a good thing - you realise how aware you have to be every second, without being paranoid! Eventually the self preservation switch kicks in, and one can usually compensate for the trip, or the spook or the buck, and stay on. Enjoy your next lesson.

Thanks for all the support :) I was sore for a couple of days but absolutely fine now- I even managed a 7 mile walk yesterday and mu bruises are already fading. I think I definitely need to work on my seat, and I'm going to ask my RI if I can do some work on lunge on Tuesday. I've had a few lessons where I've spent some time on lunge and I actually really enjoy it. One of the things I've found most difficult about learning to ride (so far!) is needing to remember so many things all at the same time, so being on lunge removes some of that and my thighs are always like jelly afterwards (which I take as a good thing!)

I think I might look into body protectors too. I don't see many people at my riding school wearing them but I think I'd definitely want one if I were to start hacking out.

Please dont think you dont need a body protector just because others dont wear one. If any one comments, tell them where to go. Its nothing to do with them. Its your choice entirely.
Youll find lots of threads on here about should i wear one or not. And people who had falls and if they had worn one they would have been worse off.
Its a matter of personal choice. My choice, I put one on everytime i ride. Sometimes its tempting to not wear it as there uncomfortable and sometimes its too hot, but i still wear it. The one day i didnt as it was too hot was the day i got trampled. Accidents happen.

I don't wear one as I find them restrictive and they have a negative effect on how I ride, BUT that may be because I learnt to ride long before they were invented - it was quite common to see people riding without hats back then and the ones we did have would never be allowed nowadays. I would say that if you'll want one for hacking then get one now, get it properly fitted, and wear it every time you ride so that it's normal for you and you learn with it on. If anyone questions you for wearing one then just say it's your choice and let at that.

newrider.com