First Ever Show - for both of us

WJD

Nov 14, 2008
Worcestershire
I took my 4 year old appaloosa mare to a show last weekend, the first for me and her (although she has been shown in hand as a yearling before I had her). She is my first horse and I have had her nearly a year now.

We hired a lift there and back, and she was fine, if a bit pooey. We did the walk and trot dressage and the clear round. I am terrified of jumping but absolutely loved it - she seemed much more confident at the show than at home and I grinned all the way round. We came 3rd in the walk and trot test.

I am so happy and want to try and jump her in a 2 ft class now. I am very nervous of this as the classes I have watched are very fast, and we are only at the trotting round stage and may not even go clear, or follow the course properly. I went to look at a show last week and all the riders in the 2 ft class were juniors. If I am the only senior jumping, and come first (ie. 1 out of 1) I think this disqualifies me from doing the 2ft class again, is this right?

Very happy WJD

well done you!
i'm doing my first mini sj'ing soon - i'm opting for 2' too as i tend to clamp up and forget to ride due to nerves :rolleyes: :eek: not too sure about the rules and regs for seniors etc though.... mine is just a local ridign club evening

honestly - don't worry

we had a horse that had to be at least 16.2 in the 1'6

was beaten by a 6 year old on a 12 hh pony but the lady took it in good humour :D

Our local sj centre split the 1'6 and 1'9 into horses and ponies this week

not 100% sure but they may have been more horses than ponies in the 1'6 -but will stand very corrected!!!!

Well done you!

I used to be the only adult in the classes - and was regularly beaten!

Not sure how you stand if you win a class, each show has different criteria.

Just remember, it's all about having fun - and that sounds just what you're doing - and the rest of the summer to go!

Good luck for the rest of the season - keep us updated (and pics!) :)

Yup! We're too old not to be having fun! If it isn't fun and you're not grinning, you shouldn't be there!:cool:

I know how you feel. My local riding club has started doing juniors and seniors separtely probably because us older adults don't like jumping with the kids lol.:eek:

I regularly jump aginst kids in the 2 ft classes, I'm 31, and i'm always beaten:), but I don't care. Most of the shows I do are fun ones. Also, I find there are still kids competing in the 2'9 classes too (not that I enter them). The kids are far braver than us adults!
Just enjoy it and have fun.;)

newrider.com