first dressage test...

Nov 4, 2008
must be going mad as i have just entered me and kennedy is our first dressage test!! i am not one for competing at all but want to get kennedy out to see the sights before winter with the aim of doing some more local fun type competitions next summer

me and friend are going as well as few from local yard i know so hopefully it should just be for fun and if we mess up then so be it! i am going to do Intro B as Kennedys canter transition in the school isn't quite there yet, although there is prelim 1 as an option although dont know what this has in?

also, if anyone in durham knows other places doing fun local style dressage please let me know :)

Good on you!!!

It will be great experience for both of you, even in terms of working in with other horses then having to ride in a different area, as long as you stay chilled you'll have a great time!!!!

When is the test?

Which one are you going to?

I'm off to Holmside with Belle next Thursday evening to do N28 and E43. Wibbling a bit now though as it is only her third competition and her first elementary (and second novice!) - yes I am certifiably mad :D

Penshaw do one monthly on a Friday evening. I think Centurion do one as well. Not sure if Claire Dryden is doing her Tuesday ones this year a Blue House (nr Dalton Piercy) as weather has been less than favourable!

Test is August 26th and is at baxter wood yard in bearpark, it is a BHS run one so not a regular thing there but as it is local thought would try it, friend just told me her friends 3 cobs are going which have been newly backed so i feel better about going knowing it won't all be dressage superstars lol

i am buying a jacket but want to wear my body protector as never ride without it, do you think i should go up one size (im a 10 so get a 12?) so that it fits or will it look odd?

Last edited:
Yeh just wear the BP over the top of your jacket :)

I'm not keen on prelim 1, although not much cantering on each rein there is no walk in between the two, Moët is better if she gets a chance to walk in between!

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself, just remember to be accurate!

Hi CH, good luck with the dressage test, very envious, you must be so excited (and nervous at the same time!!)
I rode at our local show with my bp on, but I'd echo others, where it over your jacket rather that buying a bigger jacket. Have fun!

very nervous! but excited to see how he behaves, just found out its on grass the intros and prelims, novice and elementary in the arena (should be other way round!) so it may be interesting, have just bought a jacket, it is piped with gold and gold buttons and ive seen a numnah white with gold piping but dont know if in dressage (there following bd rules) id be allowed this as just says white?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270984407195?hlp=false#ht_1970wt_1037

Last edited:
Don't know about the numnah, sorry, but it sounds nice and your jacket sounds lovely.

Just wanted to say good luck and have fun!

Just want to check i have everything right for sunday. For me i have white shirt, black jacket white jods black boots black hat silk and gloves

kennedy is hogged still has feathers on atm (not full more like half feathers! Not impressive) not sure if i should clip them off? His tail is a big bush but friend is going too pull it for me, should i plait it or just leave pulled?

If it is just a local comp you do not need to plait or pull anything and unless you have heaps of time don't give yourself any extra stress and just enjoy.

TBH I have not plaited Chanter for his last 4 tests because they have been evening ones and I have not had the time.

Good luck and enjoy

newrider.com