First Day of Herd Turnout

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Ok, so yesterday was Harvey and Piccolo's first day of herd turnout.

It seemed to go ok. Harvey has made friends with a grey pony of about 14.2hh but he is still insistent that he doesn't want to share Piccolo with anyone.

Piccolo on the other hand likes to play with EVERYONE and i get the impression is quite annoying to the bigger horses. When I arrived today a approx 15.2hh cob was chasing Piccolo but it did look like Piccolo had got on her nerves lol.

Both ponies were easy to bring in and the other horses although nearish the gate didn't crowd it (there are three seperate gates so if they crowd one you can use another) which was nice. All the horses seem very respectful of people.

On bringing in I noticed Harvey has a biggish cut under his saddle area though. Looks like it's from a large shod hoof. He wasn't that happy about it being touched and it looks sore but the skin isn't broken that much so i put some green oils on it.

Unfortunately as it is right under where his saddle would go, i don't think i should ride until it's gone. :unsure::frown:

Took him in the sand school to do some liberty work instead and he was good as gold. Did walk and trot forwards, backwards sideways, circles, changes of direction and he was good as gold.

Despite the kick he is a lot more chilled and hasn't even had his calmer or rigcalm for the last few days and has been fine.

Piccolo seems to really concern the friesian on the yard too. They are both the same colour although the fresian is about 16.2hh and the fresian keeps going over to investigate her like he isn't too sure 'what' she is. Keeps following her around and really wants to be her friend lol.

Oh, am really pleased they are getting on OK. I am nervous on Toby's behalf too when we move as he won't be able to be with Amber (mares and geldings separate).

Hope Harveys poorly clears up soon for him - interesting he is calm?

Oh, am really pleased they are getting on OK. I am nervous on Toby's behalf too when we move as he won't be able to be with Amber (mares and geldings separate).

Hope Harveys poorly clears up soon for him - interesting he is calm?

yes, it is interesting he is calm, he's also a lot more um cuddly. He's not a cuddly horse at all but he seems to really rely on me at the moment - called to me when i went to get him and even liked being groomed. Maybe he think's he's not the big horse anymore and wants protecting lol. Maybe it's a big weight off his shoulder to not be herd leader anymore?

Piccolo interestingly is settled in the fact she is fine wherever she goes but she doesn't like being on her own in this yard as much where as she was always on her own if i took Harvey out and didn't care that much.

Where are you moving Toby to? Is it similar to what you have apart from the seperating of mares/geldings?

Glad it went well, its always a worry!

Sounds like they are both enjoying there new home! :biggrin:

Im moving yards on friday and my 2 are going to be going out into a herd again. So slightly nervous about it tbh! Although you've made me feel much better!

yes, it is interesting he is calm, he's also a lot more um cuddly. He's not a cuddly horse at all but he seems to really rely on me at the moment - called to me when i went to get him and even liked being groomed. Maybe he think's he's not the big horse anymore and wants protecting lol. Maybe it's a big weight off his shoulder to not be herd leader anymore?

Piccolo interestingly is settled in the fact she is fine wherever she goes but she doesn't like being on her own in this yard as much where as she was always on her own if i took Harvey out and didn't care that much.

Where are you moving Toby to? Is it similar to what you have apart from the seperating of mares/geldings?

You may be right about some relief coming from not being herd leader, gives him chance to relax and not have to be on constant alert.

Piccolo will most probably be better once she`s settled into a routine (?) she knew the score previously, that he`d always come back when you took him away. Once she gets used to being where she is now, and how things work, i`m sure she`ll soon realise there`s no need for concern.

Loving the Freisians worry over "what" she is ... they`ll end up being the best of friends :biggrin:

newrider.com