First a horse that won't start, now a horse that won't stop

henmuffin

Aug 22, 2008
South Oxfordshire.
:D
Just come back from a fab lesson. I usually ride horses that are hard to get going but today was on a horse that wouldn't stop!!
It was a lovely little Welshie that was really forward going. It made a change to go on a horse so fast. It was a bit scary when I couldnt get him to slow down when I was working with no stirrups :eek: The RI said I did well to stay on! Funny hot times change. A year ago I was terrified of going fast but now I love it!! On a sensible note, how DO you get a forward horse to slow down by using your seat and not your hands?

May sound kinda silly but in trot count, worked for me in slowing a whizzy boy, half halts didn't work at all, tried to slow my rising but couldn't, but we did an exercise one day that we had to count from A back round the school to A how many strides the horse took, twice, just to see if our paces were regular. While I was counting in my head for some odd reason he stayed more .. well under control and steady, every time I rode him after that I counted and it really worked in steadying his pace, why I dunno, but gotta be worth a try next time you ride.
In canter ... I never managed to steady him it was his way or no way :rolleyes: sadly he's left the school now so I never mastered slowing the canter.
Good luck

newrider.com