Finding hacking buddies /Fun ride buddies

Duffy Cat

Apr 15, 2019
Would like to meet some other lonley age 40 plus riders who are still up for a blast, popping logs and general laughs...but when you are on a private yard with nobody else but you and the owner how do you go about finding people after the same thing? Don't want to sound needy asking people and to be honest the horsey people i already know have their own groups of pals.

Any ideas on finding hacking or fun ride buddies ? I go on my own but gets a little boring.

I set up a local riders group on Facebook, we meet monthly for a ride or social (they're free), it's got almost 300 members now 2 years on and I've made some great friends doing it, and it's built a really strong little community who all help each other out :)

I have a similar issue :( For fun rides there are often people on the FB page for the ride looking for someone to ride with. Roughly where are you in the world?

Reactions: Duffy Cat
Thanks for the replies :)
Wow sounds like you have started a club there Jessey..well done sounds fab. I could do with starting one.

Hi Gary I'm in North Wales what about you?
Feel bit daft saying anyone want to come with me on the fun ride event posts as everyone is tagging their mates. There must be lots of us feeling the same way just spread out across the country.

I think that sometimes you have to be brave and ask. Do you have a local Facebook group? Maybe put a post up similar to the one you have on here and see what response you get. What’s the worse that can happen?

Reactions: Duffy Cat
I'm just South of Birmingham so sadly a bit far to meet up :(

Its the done thing to ask to someone to ride with on fun rides. This post for the Cirencester Fun Ride got 28 replies :)

"Is anyone doing this ride on their own too and wants a friend around the way? I’m going on my welshy, we do the jumps and like a canter and a gallop. If not I’ll go on my own"

Exactly the same scenario at my yard, me and the YO only ones left. (Was it something I said? Lol) However, we have lots of little yards on all sides, so I've just put out tentative feelers for company. Some have been horrendous, and it was once out together and never again (AWKWARD!).but we've now got a person to go out with who wants to do what I do, and Hogan loves her horse. I'd just go on fb, chat with people you meet out riding on their own too - it's surprising how many are in the same boat. Hope you're successful!

newrider.com