finding a good sharer

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
My 21 year old daughter keeps her pony with mine but has really lost interest over the last year and i am so sad to see her beautiful boy just stood there most days while i take mine out. she has not even been to see him for three weeks now. breaks my heart .
i know maybe he should go but he feels like part of the family and i am too soft.
i have decided to look for a sharer and think i have found a local girl who says she is an 'intermediate rider' - i am relativly new to all this only getting my pony originally to keep my daughter company with her riding (funny how things turn around ;))
any how could anyone tell me what an intermediate rider is i.e experienced etc and also any tips/questions/advice i should consider when looking for a sharer would be greatly appreciated - thanks ;)

Hiya, I have two sharers and the best way to judge I found is to get her to come over, groom, tack up and ride whilst you are there, you then get a chance to judge how she is with the horse, how she copes and how well she can ride. You can also judge on how truthful she is with her abilities, as if she has only ridden in a school before she won't know one end of the bridle to another....

agree with Maggiemoo, get her to come and do everything whilst you are there.

whats your pony like? are you planning on getting a sharer so they only hack with you?

agree with everyone above get her to come down and she her handle him and ride him,

After all she could be a world class rider and you might not like her ;) so it's always best to have a meet and greet before you decide anything :)

As everyone has already said.

I put up an advert on a local horse site for my horse, and my sharer came to meet him first and check out what he was like on the ground. Next time she saw me tack him up (I'm fussy as to how it is done :eek: ) and she rode him out whilst I walked along side her, so she could see what he was like.

Next time hubby rode out with her and she tacked him up herself, after that, both he and I were happy for her to take my horse out on her own.

I was watching like a hawk the first time she came down though, just to see how my horse reacted to her and her to him. We did chat a lot before she met him so I could get a feel for the kind of person she was and if my horse would gel with her. Fortunately so far they have quite well :)

newrider.com