Finding a field to rent?!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Just wondered what's the best way to find a field to rent?!

My yard has applied for planning permission to build new stables and knock down old, but turns out they never had planning for the old lot! So I am getting a bit anxious that it will be declined and we will be kicked off!

I'm considering all options, but one favourable option is renting a big field suitable for 4 horses and a pony...

Just not really sure where to start looking!!

Any advice?!

I'd try Farmers Guardian, and your local tack shop notice board. Then, as an idea, how about putting a little ad together yourself, saying "Wanted, field to rent" kind of thing? You can place an ad in the back of Horse and Rider mag free and I think you can do the same in Your Horse mag?
Good luck anyways.

Set a day aside for knocking on doors Maria. Go and call on every single farmhouse in the area you would hope to find grazing in. Even if it seems that the land owners might turn you down flat - you just never know?

I did this some years ago - knocked on the door of a local land owner who, I had been warned, hated horses and would never have them on his land. After chatting with him it transpired that a few years previously some horse owners had let him down badly, starving horses, all sorts of neglect issues etc. Managed to convince him that I was not this sort of horse owner (how VERY dare he!!!:devil:)

Ended up with enough acres to take my own hay, keep double the amount of horses I had and all for little more than the costs of two months shoeing bill!

Gather up your courage Maria, relax and be yourself and you might just get a lucky break?:biggrin:

Depending on where abouts you are looking Carter Jonas might be worth contacting, they rent fields in this area. Or you can contact your local council.

I have just had this, i have just put my tb on laon and dnt need the livery we have for the daughters shetti so i am moving to a field with shelter. the best thing to do is get in your car and drive round the area you want to be in and ask ask ask.. its the best way to find somewhere as alot of people dnt advertise its more word of mout

newrider.com