Finally starting riding!

Jadee

May 16, 2009
Norfolk
Hello :) I joined the forum way back in 09 when I planned to start riding lessons but after looking around I didn't think it would be something I could really do as they were all quite far away and fairly expensive, mum could only take me certain days etc. Well I've finally booked my first lesson for next sunday, luckily I now have my car so can get wherever I like :) Im sooo excited and so pleased I'm finally getting round to doing it! Any hints/tips for my first lesson or any other advice would be really appreciated :)
Jade xx

Congratulations on getting around to it, hope you enjoy your first lesson.

I'm not one to give advice, I am a right wally rider. So I'll just say remember that we all do this because it is supposed to be FUN! Don't expect too much of yourself, and enjoy it! Oh, and don't forget to let us know how you get on, we're all terrible nosey!:wink:

Exciting times! is it your first ever lesson? or have you ridden a few times before? :smile: as LBrider said, don't expect too much of yourself and just enjoy it. Sometimes riding is made into such a 'competition' sport where it's about who's better than who, and is forgotton that it's a fun, hobby :wink:

Thankyou :) No never ridden before so I am a little nervous but more excited than anything! Yes I will definitely keep you updated on how I get on:) x

I could not get over how high up I felt the first time I got on a horse! And I'd kicked him in the bum trying to get on him! Couldn't find the stirrup wiht my right foot to save my life. Complete comedy fest.

It is a sad fact that riding is more difficult than it looks and people who are good at it (particularly those who are really good at it) make it look absolutely effortless. It totally is not! BUT this means that every small acheivement will put such a massive smile on your face and make you feel so good about the whole thing that you won't be able to wait for the next time.

You will have such a great time - enjoy! :bounce:

Exciting times, sure you will be hooked soon enough!

Maybe you could start a diary in the members diary section, it's a great way to chart your progress and to keep us mosey members up to date with your progress:happy:

The only time I've ever been on a horse was when my friend let me sit on hers and walked me round the field, to say Im nervous is a complete understatement but I can't wait to finally start horse riding its something I've wanted to do for ages! My first lesson is for hour an hour hopefully I wont have to much to remember for the next one lol! :p

Exciting times, sure you will be hooked soon enough!

Maybe you could start a diary in the members diary section, it's a great way to chart your progress and to keep us mosey members up to date with your progress:happy:

That sounds like a good idea :) Ill definitely keep you all updated how I get on

I'm really excited for you.

I also agree with everything Autumn Leaves said. Do this for fun, enjoy yourself without pressure to be good. If you decide you want to ride for sport at a later date then so be it but don't compare yourself to other people and do it because you want to

Of course, now you've posted about this you know you're obliged to do an outdate thread after your lesson :wink:

Have fun! :biggrin:

I am excited for you. :dance: I agree with everyone else in that riding should be fun, so just go and enjoy yourself. Learning can be an up and down experience. Some weeks you will seem to do everything wrong and other weeks things will seem so simple. Just remember, if you don`t make mistakes then you can`t learn from them. I am sure everyone will be looking forward to your weekly report of your lessons. I know I will. :dance:

Welcome to NR. Just relax and enjoy it you'll have a ball and once you've had your first fix you'll be back again and again and again.....
It's very addictive.

How exciting! :dance: Just have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't try and be 'good', listen to what your instructor is telling you and ask as many questions as you like :smile:

And don't worry (I know, easier said than done huh?!) just relax and enjoy your horsey time.

Remember to come back and let us know how you got on...I don't remember that first time getting on a horse, so it would be good to hear how it felt.

Thankyou for all your replies. I will be sure to let you all know how I get on :) I just wish it was next Sunday already and I'm sure my boyfriend does too as thats all he's heard from me since I decided I was going to start taking lessons :tongue:

I could not get over how high up I felt the first time I got on a horse! And I'd kicked him in the bum trying to get on him! Couldn't find the stirrup wiht my right foot to save my life. Complete comedy fest.:

I can relate to that!

The first horse I got on felt soooo high (and he was one of the smaller ones!!) and felt soooo fast (he's just a plodder really, not forward going at all).

As everyone else has said, relax and enjoy yourself and your love it.

Oh and don't forget to breathe lol.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. I can't remember my first lesson, but if you love it anywhere near as much as I do you will be hooked. Have fun and just relax and enjoy it. :)

How exciting for you!:dance:
Have a lovely time. Try not to be toooooo nervous, as they won't ask you to do anything too scary on your first lesson. I'm sure you'll love it. Do let us know how you get on.

Ohhhh exciting, don't forget to get the bath ready, you will find you have muscles you never though you had. You will be walking like John Waynne for a couple of days, but with a smile on your face. lol

newrider.com