Finally ...after owning for 5 years...HACKED ALONE!

Portia

Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
Am quietly very proud of myself :), I have today - finally - managed to hack out alone. Mrs B was simply a star, 101% steady and solid, although she did give me strange looks at all the deep breathing and singing that was going on above her ears, poor soul.

I hadn't actually planned to go out tbh, had booked the school, but the yard gates were open and we just seemed to keep on going out the yard :rolleyes: (B obv prefers hacking to schooling).

For all those nervous nellies such as I, keep going - we CAN do it.

i recently accomplished the same feet my self a couple of weeks ago and have had my boy 4 years he's an insisant knapper - it feels great doesnt it - well done portia and neddy - you should be supper chuffed :p;)

well done Dinsario and cobby :)

Last edited:
Well done! I know what it's like going out on your own for the first time...i was terrified, but that was because my previous mare was very unpredictable, so i carried on the terror to my next. Unfortunately i dont have a horse anymore, but i still remember how it feels, with the singing etc :D. Hope you have more fun musical rides in the future :D. Now you've done it the first time...the worst is over!!

That is such good news! It is a lovely feeling when you brave something and it goes well.

Definitely best that you didn't plan to do it - much less pressure that way :)

Am quietly very proud of myself :), I have today - finally - managed to hack out alone. Mrs B was simply a star, 101% steady and solid, although she did give me strange looks at all the deep breathing and singing that was going on above her ears, poor soul.

I hadn't actually planned to go out tbh, had booked the school, but the yard gates were open and we just seemed to keep on going out the yard :rolleyes: (B obv prefers hacking to schooling).

For all those nervous nellies such as I, keep going - we CAN do it.

Yay well done - another unplanned success.

Same story as me. I've had misty 5 1/2 years and only started solo hacking (longish hacks) last November. Great feeling isn't it? Keep it up.

Well done :) It is lovely being out and about with just the two of you, having fun together and exploring:)

Well done Portia - we are practising too. Its so much easier when you take 20 minutes to open an awkward gate, not to be watched by half a dozen other people who could do it in half the time!!!:)

It's funny isn't it? Hacking on my own as an issue was something which just didn't occur to me as being a problem before I became a horse owner. I was lucky, I had the hacking horse from heaven, but I didn't think to try him doing that before I bought him. And yet, its something that a lot of horses won't do, and even on a good horse, it is still very nerve wracking. I wonder why that is.

Do you think its that no one hacks on their own at a riding school, so as an option it never rears its head, so we don't see it as being an issue?

Huge congrats Portia.....the singing and incessant chatter really works doesnt it.....i have the same fear when hacking my girl and your so right Cazrider, its not something you EVER do when learning to ride for all those years, but suddenly it all becomes such a big thing.

I use the singing technique and i see Cosmels ears flicking, im sure she is saying 'good grief mother!!!:rolleyes)

Well done again

Gx

Thats' a very good question, and one I hope to address in march :)

Like many such fears, the issues involved are unique. For myself, it's a lack of confidence in my ability as a rider to handle my horse sufficiently well, and avoid harm to myself, the animal and other riders as a result of my incompetence.

My old riding school did offer hacking, but somehow plodding on some poor numbed beast along the same old paths just doesnt' match seeing the world between Mrs B's ears!

newrider.com