Few random questions various horsey topics!!

Harlequin32

Feb 20, 2008
1--- Glue on horse shoes, Have been recommended by a visiting farrier for my horse. He reckons they will cost about £140 and will last about 12 weeks (due to the fact my horse grows NO hoof at all)
Will they actually stay on that long? He will be maybe in very light work ie- walking in a field or just turned out for a hour or two per day.

2---The other recommendation i keep getting is that he needs "good nutritious food" What actually does this mean? He is a good weight but tends to lean towards the slim side rather than fat. He is also very lively to ride so whatever i give him must be non- heating

3--- Whats the best thickest rubber matting avaliable

Thank you very muchly!!

glue on shoes (or at least the ones i have seen) are crap, dont last days let alone weeks.

im not a fan but even i think you would be better going for hoof boots :eek: :p
food wise, feed a hoof supplement (theres loads) seaweed etc. good quality forage and enough calories so there is plenty for hoof growth (is his hair slow growing as well?)
perhaps a potion to paint on the hooves to encourage growth or to stop them been brittle.

dont know about rubber matting sorry :)

Thanks, Thats what worries me I cant afford to have them done only to fall off again quickly!
He's on Farriers formula and biotin. (but only recently)
Oats and barley have been suggested but he can be very difficult and i feel this would be stupid (or suicidal:eek:)

Oh and no i haven't noticed his hair is particularly slow growing. Although i dont pull his mane very often?? so maybe it is and i just never thought about it:rolleyes:

oats and barley wont do much i dont think.

are his feet in good condition, no flaky/crumbly walls etc do you wash them with hibi scrub (or similar) to make sure there isnt any infection/bacteria.

is it just no growth, or bad hoof quality (or both)

Its both really the tiny bit that does grow breaks off as he walks- he is on box rest at the moment as he is too bad to go out.
I have just got a bottle of Milton as been told to wash them in this in case of any infection so will start that tomorrow.

Glue on shoes are great. My horse has them and they have done a fantastic job. People are very quick to slam them with little experience of them-not aiming this at you at all loopylozza, just when people have never used them or only used them once and then say they are rubbish. As with anything you do need to give them time, and no they don't work for every single horse, yes they are a fairly expensive option. Personally I think they're fab. :)

Howevere, although I do think they're great I don't think they're going to last 12 weeks, and as they're not designed to last for that long I doubt it would be very good for your horse to have them on for that amount of time. They're definitely worth giving a go though. They've worked fantastically for Skips. You do have to give them time though. :)

my dad was one of the first people to trial them (was a farrier) and even he said they were crap and he was trying to persude people to use them!

maybe they have improved now but we have (well had, just cleaned his room at the yard out :rolleyes:) loads of tubes/tins of glue and plastic shoes and also some racing plates that were trialled at the same time for the same thing.

Thanks Skips and Soda, Interesting to hear your views especially as someone who has used them.
Loopylozza-- God thats sooo unfair i wish my dad was a farrier- the problems it could solve:rolleyes:

newrider.com