Fell off

geckos11

May 23, 2015
Yesterday I had a lesson on a horse that I've never rode before. The RI had be trotting over bigger jumps than I've done before. I went over the first jump okay-ish (almost lost my stirrup). Then I went for the nrxt jump (this was the big one) and the horse was really going for it I could hardly keep him in trot and he over jumped it and I lost my stirrup and sloped off sideways and landed on my back/neck. The horse then almost stood on my head. He then canted off to the other horse in the lesson. The owner then said after the lesson that the RI should not have had me jumping in my first lesson on the new horse. And I think I have whiplash from the fall cuz I've got s really sore neck.

How long have you been riding and is this your first fall? To be honest falling off when a horse actually jumps rather than doing a large trot step is a fairly standard cause of early falls. Horses are not totally predictable,This happened to one of my riders in her first ever course, horse normally trotted over every thing and just put in a small jump. Cue rider on floor and very confused horse. For what it is worth in 25 years of teaching no horse has ever stepped on a fallen rider, in fact they go out of their way to avoid them.

newrider.com