Fell off yesterday for the first time~

ClaireRu

Aug 11, 2008
My RI told me I could join the group lesson starting in September so I get to ride one hour instead of half hour private lesson. RI told me that I should get boots and half chaps so my legs can have a better contact with the horse.

Yesterday I was wearing my brand new boots and half chap to my sixth lesson(private lesson). After maybe half of the lesson, Sunset(the horse I always ride) was scared by this very loud machine sound and jump quickly to the left while I was still going at the same path. I fell off to the right and land on my right side(mostly my hip). I jump back up and ask my RI if there is anything I can do to avoid felling off. She said there is no much I can do in that situation.

I get back to riding and doing posting trot for a while then a horse from another arena close by trip by the jumping bar and make another loud sound. Sunset immediately jump up and move around quickly. I managed to stay on using my legs but that was kind of crazy.

Then about 1 minutes before I dismount, Sunset get scared of some kind of machine sound again. By that time my RI was in front of him so he couldn't jump as much so I stay on him.

That was a excited and scary day. I am so sore now......
When I was done and stand with Sunset in front of a fan, he tried to move his head toward me and touch me with his head. I don't know what was going on and then the RI told the stable hand took him for me.

That was my first time falling of of a horse....

My b.f. and my parents was worried about me and told me not to go ride again.(I start riding fairly late, I am 26.) But I feel that I can't just give up now since I have always wanted to ride horse. Maybe I just need to read more and learn more about horses.

What do u think?

Last edited:
Falling off is part of the course for riders im afraid.... but well done to staying on the following two times... Sunset is a lovely name!

Keep at it!!

be prepared for many more bruises, you will get better at staying on... and also learn to recognise the signs when horse is likely to spook.

good luck in your group lesson

Good on you for getting back on and for sitting to the other spooks. Falling off is something that can happen and even though you can try and prevent falls, there are always those times when the unexpected happens and the next thing you know, you're on the ground. However, chocolate, tea and a good soak in the bath sort you out in no time.

If you're worried about falling off you could try wearing a body protector, having a safety strap round the horse's neck etc and that might ease your BF's concerns. But, you got straight back on, you're loving your lessons, so don't stop doing what you love.

well done for not getting scared and getting straight back on. even experienced riders can fall off if a horse spooks out of nowhere and they werent expecting it. but you obviously quickly worked out how to stay on :)

non horsey family always worry of you fall off and hurt yourself but everything in life has its risks. i would agree with wearing a BP as it can prevent some, but not all, bruising and aches and pains. in the mean time have a radox bath and eat lots of chocolate :eek:

well done you for getting back on, my OH was ok when I came off (3rd lesson back after 6 year break) think he realised how much it meant to me to get back up there, so not much point in him tryin to stop me.
Dad on the other hand though thought it was a bleeping stupid thing to do, I should Bleepin stop I must be bleepin careful why am I bleepin going back.
(my fault I guess I showed him the vid OH managed to get :D)
Non horsey people just don't understand, if you enjoy it, and the fall hasn't shaken you keep riding, they are just worried about you.

Thank you all~

I decide to go volunteer in hippo therapy section and get to know more about horses. I figure that running away isn't going to solve any problem!

The only thing that's in my mind is that should I tell my RI to change the horse that I am riding?!?!

I would get back on sunset, if you havent already done so.... even if the whole lesson is done in a walk...

sometimes, esp having fallen off a horse for the first time, you develope an irrational fear of that one horse. What would happen i the only horse available left was Sunset?? would you just not ride??

dont let one horse spoil it... get back on and make friends again.. dont let the fall get to you, it wasnt personal.

It's all part of the fun! No seriously it does shake you up when you have a fall but the best thing to do is get straight back on which you did so well done! There is always a risk with riding but there's a risk crossing the road and driving a car too! If you're enjoying your riding then don't let other people put you off!

newrider.com