Feet growing loads!

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
Arns is having to change to trims/shoes every 5/6 weeks (were being done every 7 weeks) as his feet just grow so much.

Had the farrier this morning and after talking to him about Arns problem with tripping he has rolled his toes but also pointed out just how much hoof his has to take off due to the large amount of growth Arnie has and says this may well be a contributing factor to the tripping.

Is this mega growth a common issue?

I don't have him on any feet supplements at all, just a basic vitamin and mineral powder.

I've just had my lot shod or trimmed yesterday. 7 weeks'ish and the amount of growth was shocking TBH!:eek:

I do seem to find this in the winter and spring, my farrier thinks it is because I give them all a vitamin and mineral lick ad lib throughout the mostly 'hay only' time of year, and this encourages a more rapid hoof growth?:confused:.

I must say I never get this rapid rate of growth during the summer when they are all on grass only without any additives so perhaps he is right.

Rio grows foot very fast at this time of year. Barefoot I had to roll her toes every week to keep her moving nicely, and she's ready for new shoes after just four weeks. If he's unshod you could help things by getting hold of a rasp of your own (a second hand farrier one will do) and maintaining them yourself between trims, little and often is best :)

Our farrier worked in Australia for a year and said they had to be done every four weeks there. He says it's the heat that makes them grow so quickly - my horse also needs doing more often once winter is over with.

Well we are going to try shoeing every 5 weeks, but having had a long talk with my instructor who is pro barefoot I am trying to get up the nerve to have Arns shoes off so I can rasp him more reguarly, and with the additional thought that barefoot will help generally with his tripping.

At the moment he has front shoes but barefoot behind and all are in good condition, doesn't get any cracking or chipping or anything on the bare hinds, although I realise the fronts take most of the weight.

I say trying to get up the nerve as I am really worried that he will get footsore or something and I couldn't stand to see him uncomfortable.

That said, apart from gravel in the yard car park and then about 50 ft of gravel track we ride entirely on grass or the soft surface of the school so does he really need shoes?

Instructor thinks likely not so am having a good ponder :)

Anyone have any thoughts on when is the best time of year to have shoes off?

Well we are going to try shoeing every 5 weeks, but having had a long talk with my instructor who is pro barefoot I am trying to get up the nerve to have Arns shoes off so I can rasp him more reguarly, and with the additional thought that barefoot will help generally with his tripping.

At the moment he has front shoes but barefoot behind and all are in good condition, doesn't get any cracking or chipping or anything on the bare hinds, although I realise the fronts take most of the weight.

I say trying to get up the nerve as I am really worried that he will get footsore or something and I couldn't stand to see him uncomfortable.

That said, apart from gravel in the yard car park and then about 50 ft of gravel track we ride entirely on grass or the soft surface of the school so does he really need shoes?

Instructor thinks likely not so am having a good ponder :)

Anyone have any thoughts on when is the best time of year to have shoes off?

Silver used to trip a lot - she has stopped tripping now she is unshod - quite an impressive difference! Its also great pottering up and down hills with no slipping etc. She is much more foot-sure now.

As for the foot sore issue... She is noticeabley more foot sore now, but it means I can spot it and manage it - ie keep her off the grass for 24hrs etc. She has only been footsore for about 3days since last August after she recovered from shoes coming off (suspect she had a bout of lami just before and after shoes came off). I prefer her being footsore now as I can manage it in the earlier stages - once noticeable when shod its a lot more progressed.

She actually chooses now in the afternoons on sunny days to stand on the hardcore. Im really glad we went barefoot, its helping me to guage her discomfort better. If you are really worried about him hurting can you get some bute "in stock" or similar just in case?

Coming into third summer barefoot for my daughters pony.

He was shod on the fronts when I got him, but he kept losing a shoe so decided to try him barefoot. I took his shoes of in the summer, I think the hard, dry ground helps condition the hoof.
He took a few months to be able to tackle very stony tracks easily, for him it has been a simple process.

My boy on the other hand didn't find it so easy, really struggled on stony ground, I didn't want to try hoof boots as he trips a bit and thought that they may make him trip more. On grass and tarmac he was fine from day one and he didn't trip at all, so barefoot possibly does help with tripping.
I had his shoes put back on as we have alot of stony track and felt it wasn't fair on him. Front shoes with quater clips have helped with the tripping.

Do wonder if age was a factor as my daughters pony was about 6, whilst my boy was 14.

As I said to you, if I were where you are then Joy would certainly be barefoot to see. Can't see Arnie havie too much of a problem. In fact he'll probably do better as he is getting out and about daily which is great for the transition. I'm sure one of the problems with Joy being barefoot is that she on;t goes out maybe 4 times a week.

Go on take of the shoes!!!

Indie was being shod every 5 weeks due to hoof growth and wearing of his shoes. He also tripped a lot which was a real concern, especially with him being a live wire spooky arab :eek::D

Having his shoes off was the best decision as he rarely trips these days and is more sure footed on all terrain :)

You have nothing to lose in taking off the shoes and they can always be put back on if needs be :)

However 2 years ago i would have been :eek: horses NEED shoes :eek: i now know better :p

Kc Mac that sounds great.

Can I ask what you did when the shoes came off?

I know there is a mystical process called "transitioning" :cool: but I am not sure excatly what it would be and if I can do it.

Have heard people talk about walking them on roads but I don't really have any roads as such. Just have gravel or grass.

Did you take shoes off in the summer?

Do I need hardeners or feed supplements?

He has great feet according to our farrier. They just grow an awful lot!

IIMO you stand a better chance going barefoot in the summer.

When I took my daughters ponys shoes off I didn't do any transitioning as such, just played it by ear really.

I also didn't use any lotions or potions.

I would give it a go.:)

Kc Mac that sounds great.

Can I ask what you did when the shoes came off?

I know there is a mystical process called "transitioning" :cool: but I am not sure excatly what it would be and if I can do it.

Have heard people talk about walking them on roads but I don't really have any roads as such. Just have gravel or grass.

Did you take shoes off in the summer?

Do I need hardeners or feed supplements?

He has great feet according to our farrier. They just grow an awful lot!

Shoes would have come off around September 2008 i think. It was purely the fact his tripping etc, and farrier agreed he should be fine barefoot (he had been for at least 4 yrs previously) so took them off! Ideally summer would be a better time!

I asked him about 'transitioning' and what needed doing and his opinion was due to Indies decent feet - carry on as normal :eek: So i did :eek: He was fine :D The main thing most people mean is with rocky/stoney terrain, introduce it gently/gradually to allow them to build up a callous but Indie didn't seem to notice! Some may be a little footsore the first few times across gravel/hardcore but once the feet toughen up its fine :)

If you have mainly grass and gravel I can't see you having much of a problem!

I personally chose to feed a suppliment to start with although farrier said it was a waste of money on Indie :eek: He no longer get it as really does not need it so its really personal choice and whatever farrier thinks. I would highly recommend Farriers Favourite by http://www.equineanswers.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=3 if you did look at suppliments.

If your farrier says he has great feet i would be inclined to take off shoes and go for it. See how he goes, be mindful but try not to baby him and feel sorry for him too much!!

The one thing i recommend and consider essential is a wire brush (from any hardware store) and after picking out obvious stones, brush feet, especially around white line as it will either knock out grit/gravel/debris and show it up for you to pick out :cool: Most horses seem to enjoy the feet brushing!

Any questions do ask, i am no expert, just my own experiences ;)

newrider.com