Feeling very proud of myself and Harvey

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
You may remember that in some of my posts I say that I rarely ride these days. Well, that's a bit of an understatement. I've worked out that I have not even sat on a horse for well over 18 months, probably nearer two years.

Until today:)

OH is out of action this weekend, so I decided to have a lesson on Harvey. To my relief I managed to get on, and stayed on for the full hour. We concentrated on walk to get me back into the swing of things again and not punish my poor unused muscles too much. Plus I've put on a lot of weight since I last rode. So lots of stop, starts, circles, serpentines and leg yield. However, we did do some trot without too much loss of balance, and did a little cantering on both reins - but my core muscles did put in a complaint to the management at that.

Harvey was a dream. Put up with all the pottering about, and the only suggestion he made was to offer more canter, even though I did not feel I was holding myself properly. He stood still and did not complain as I rested my leg on his bum to make getting off easier, bless him.

However, I did find it stange with a rein in each hand again. I kept wanting to go coachman:eek: At least, that's my excuse for uneven hands.

So, now I know I can get get on and off, provided no-one insists on it being graceful, I have promised myself I won't leave it another 18 months before riding again.

Anyway, this is us today - first time I've ever had my photo taken on (as opposed to with) Harvey.

P1000433.jpg

Harvey is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to look as natural (with a good position) as you in the saddle ! 18 months, are you sure ?
Well done ! :)

Harvey is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to look as natural (with a good position) as you in the saddle ! 18 months, are you sure ?
Well done ! :)

I agree! You both look fantastic! I ride most days (well apart from in this terrible weather!) :( and would be very chuffed if my position in a photo looked as good as yours!

Keep up the good work!! :D

It looks to me as though you probably ride everyday with that natural position. Well done and now you MUST keep going mustnt you?:)

Thank you for those lovely comments. I know I think Harvey is a good looking fellow, but I'm biased. It's nice to know other people think so too.

My position isn't always good, but years of excellent instruction and a made to measure Spalding dressage saddle help!

I'm a little bit sore today, but not so bad as I feared, and a long soak in the bath has helped. So I'm really looking forward to riding Harvey again.

newrider.com