feeling useless

Emarmite

May 19, 2000
Manchester, England
Visit site
Hi,

I know I posted a couple of weeks ago about my loan pony, but still having problems.

Took him out for a hack yesterday with another horse, went out the gate and he turned right, but we were not going that way, turned him round to go other way and he would not budge.

Managed eventually go get him over the style but that is as far as he would go. He would not budge no amount of pursuasding helped. Now this is a route that we take often so there is no reason for him to be frightened. Unfortunately we were in awkward position as he stubbonly stopped at edge of style where the edge of the bank is, (river below gulp). Managed to get him to back up so I could turn him round, no such luck, the other horse even walked off and left him and thought he would never follow, no chance. Gave him small tap with whip (cannot use whip as owner says this makes him worse), he then starts coming of front legs and thought he was going to rear.

Had to give in eventually and go other way and he was then good as gold, but he got his own way again and I am at a loss what to do, I feel pretty useless.

Just to add I have ridden this pony out since March mainly on our own and have had no problems.

Thanks for any advise

Beverley

My normal tactic is that if things are getting dangerous riding, get off and lead. Not so nice for you, but horse doesn't get his own way. Can mean you're leaping on and off every few minutes, but it does get better eventually!

This is what you would call being a 'brat.' He might be barn sour and you just have to work on it. It sounds like he is just being a stinker and seeing what he can get away with with you. Maybe just lead him through the trail on a lead line one day so he gets used to the ride. You just need to get his respect because he is pushing you around. A good way to get a horses respect is the seven friendly games of parelli it worked like a charm with me and my filly! Hope I helped.

newrider.com