Feeling stressed and anxious....

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
OH is ill and does not seem to be getting any better. Bit worse last 2 days if anything. Swine flu maybe. Or some other 'nasty'. I'm not very good at coping with illness (understatement and a half!) I get very anxious and panicky about it. It feels to me like he's going to die even though I know he is not really in any danger. This reaction is a side-effect from an event a few years ago when I very nearly lost him. (I was quite sane till then!)
Don't know why I'm telling you guys this. It's not very cheery. But I can't talk to anyone I know in real life about it as I get too embarrassed about being so irrational. I stop functioning basically -can't eat, can't sleep. Don't know what to do.

Your not the only one who always thinks the worst im sure, i am the same to a degree. I panic over everything when others seem to not be as bothered. I actually dnt listen to the news anymore coz im fed up of hearing bout the latest on the swine flu, id rather not know, then i cnt worry bout it asmuch.
Silly i know, buti do understand how you feel. I tink the worst is always in the bk of your mind. Just try to relax and take a breather.

Thanks. Another night of insomnia. Stressing about things. At least I have NR to keep me occupied! Though pretty quiet at this time of night...

HOpefully by now you are fast asleep and snodging nicely! lol. I do hope you are less anxious soon, its horrible when our loved ones are poorly. Last year OH had a horrendous year health wise and each time we went to the hospital I was in a state of real panic, all out of proportion probably, but it made me realise how not unbreakable we all are. Every time I had to wait for him coming back from theatre I was sooo afraid. Real fear tho, like nothing I've ever felt before, not like the kind of stuff you experience in every day life - not even close to butterflies in tummy type stuff. Gosh, I'm not doing a very good job of cheering you up am I?!!! Do hope your OH improves. Please try not to worry - and try not to bottle itup. Your friends and relatives won't mind you sharing I'm sure. And, of course you've always got NR!!!

Yes it's horrible. Poor you (both of you). Thanks for replying. It does help to know I'm not alone with these feelings! I hope your partner is ok now.

OH is about the same but he's ok really. It's just that he nearly died a few years ago in a horrific climbing accident. I was with him and it took us hours to be rescued and the emergency service guys were getting really stressed and started arguing with each other about how to get him out with one man saying we need to get him out RIGHT NOW and others saying it wasn't safe for them and they needed to wait for a roped access team.
I felt utterly helpless and terrified. Then my son spent a month in intensive care and we were told 3 times he was on his way out (2 am in the morning call from the unit and sitting by his cot just waiting - kind of thing). He recovered fully but since those 2 events I've been totally neurotic about the health of the people I love. It's horrible. And drives them mad too!!

Aw KrissieI, sounds like you've been through such a lot. I can only say that its to be expected that you're feeling anxious, so don't think that you should be "over" whats happened to you. It sounds like it was all very traumatic and that kind of thing does not just go away over night. It can take months even years for us to get our heads around things like that - even tho once the immediate danger has passed. Our bodies are strange things, and stress / worry can manifests itself in all manner of ways. You're not alone!!!!

Krissie, this may not help your anxiety directly, but I would like to thank you for helping me get things in proportion. I have been stressing out big time lately with the process of trying to sell our house. Result - huge rows with OH, mainly over nothing!

Your post made me think, what about if he were to be really ill. He's had a minor problem recently, which gave me a bit of a scare, but we're hoping to get the all clear on that soon. What's a house move compared to that? We'll sell and move all in good time, and I must curb my impatience.

You've been through some tough times - it's natural that you may be a bit sensitive. I just hope your OH gets over whatever it is soon - and you can regain some peace of mind. Hugs in the meantime - and thanks.

with two scares like that, i am not surprised you don't take illness easily - but one was an accident and the other was so unusual/unexpected that again it is very very rare.

try to chill, hard i know, and take care of yourself.

It sounds like it was all very traumatic and that kind of thing does not just go away over night. It can take months even years for us to get our heads around things like that - even tho once the immediate danger has passed.

Yes, I developed PTSD after the accident. It's mostly under control now but illness in OH triggers it again. All the feelings of helplessness and terror and dread just come back. Still it's good for my waistline! I've lost 2 kg in less than a week. :eek:

Thanks everyone for your replies. In a few days this will all just be a horrible memory and I'll be fine again. :)

newrider.com