Feeling sorry for myself.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Need a moan today....
Have had toothache for best part of two months on and off but what with other things in my life have never got round to going to the dentist, well after being up most the night last night with it decided to make an appointment for today.
Off I toddled to my appointment thinking as you do oh I'll end up with a filling but no the bugger ended up pulling my wisdom tooth out and lol I almost passed out in the chair! I'm not normally such a pathetic wuss but I HATE going to the dentist and was terrified!
Anyway he told me to go home and rest so I didn't need much encouragement to miss an afternoon off work, at least it doesn't hurt too much now. Maybe if I'd gone two months ago it would have just been a filling. Lesson learned I suppose.

If a wisdom tooth needs to come out, you will never get away with just a filling. It's usually about the space in the mouth, not the health of the teeth.

All over now! So don't beat yourself up, I don't think it would have made any difference if you had gone sooner.

Ah the worst thing is he said I had to have it out because the decay had gone so deep it was at the nerve and filling it would have just aggravated it more, so if I'd gone when it first started it wouldn't have had to come out, but still it's out now and done with - onwards and upwards and all that. I didn't get them until I was in my forties and have never had any problems with them at all, lol he said I have a big mouth so plenty of room in there! Cheek!

Much sympathy. I posted on here a couple of years ago about my HUGE phobia of dentists. I was forced to go after 5 years lapse and I was lucky to find an amazing private practice. I cannot say enough goid things about them and they have changed the way I think about my teeth forever!!!! I actually ENJOY going there now!!! Something anybody who knows me would be very surprised about going back in time. I even like seeing the hygeinist - she's brilliant with wusses and worriers like me!! It isn't the cheapest but money well spent - and now I am on Denplan so very economical in the long term.
God I've gone on a bit there...
Hope you are okay - look after youself and take it easy!!

Right day for me this. I do go pretty regularly and we have been obliged to go private - our NHS dentist retired and packed up, passing our records to a private group.
But going regularly wont avert a crisis. I broke a tooth last week and it is likely to have to come out tomorrow.
Then we discovered that having a broken tooth waiting to be sorted means our travel insurance is not complete? Mega crisis as we are about to go on a holiday with a tour company insisting on full insurance - the whole trip may yet be cancelled.
Just because of a broken tooth. OH is beside himself with fury.

Right day for me this. I do go pretty regularly and we have been obliged to go private - our NHS dentist retired and packed up, passing our records to a private group.
But going regularly wont avert a crisis. I broke a tooth last week and it is likely to have to come out tomorrow.
Then we discovered that having a broken tooth waiting to be sorted means our travel insurance is not complete? Mega crisis as we are about to go on a holiday with a tour company insisting on full insurance - the whole trip may yet be cancelled.
Just because of a broken tooth. OH is beside himself with fury.

Oh that's terrible:frown: Could your dentist help out by ringing the travel insurance people or providing a written statement that the tooth has been treated to the best of his ability and unlikely to cause any problems whilst you are away? Or are you needing to sort the insurance before you visit the dentist? How vexing.

Thanks Trewsers - spent much of yesterday on the phone to dentists, insurers etc. Tearing my hair. My dentist had said I was fine to travel and he was happy to postpone things till we got back. That is OK if you are travelling on your own.
But if you are part of a group tour, I am told no exceptions are made. This is a trip to the EU, not our voyages to the back of beyond!
So in technical terms (small print) that makes me unfit to travel and insurers will refund the money.
But no that doesnt mean we can get the refund now and book to travel on our own. Since you are not deemed unfit to travel from a broken tooth until the actual time comes.
I went for one of these NHS check ups immediately after discovering all this yesterday and the nurse couldnt understand why my blood pressure was so high!

I dont usually post on NR about non horsey stuff - but I havent had a tooth out before and anyone who has advice to offer about implants, bridges or just having gaps, I'd welcome input.
This complicated dentistry is new to me.
But like Shakespeare, I suppose old age means being toothless even for those of us fit enough to go on riding.

I dont usually post on NR about non horsey stuff - but I havent had a tooth out before and anyone who has advice to offer about implants, bridges or just having gaps, I'd welcome input.
This complicated dentistry is new to me.
But like Shakespeare, I suppose old age means being toothless even for those of us fit enough to go on riding.

Would you like me to post a link to my dentists website? He is extremely forward thinking and knowledgeable about implants and a lot of other complicated procedures. You might find the info on there helpful - just a shame you aren't here in Lancs, as they are superb and it would have been an option for you to visit them.

Speaking personally, a crown (a tooth built on to where the root of the old tooth was) is far superior to a bridge (where the root cannot be used).

Bridges are an absolute pain to keep clean.

And Skib, I am so sorry you are having all this insurance hassle. What a complete nightmare. I do hope you reach a satisfactory resolution.

Thank you for the advice. Sounds like bridges are not wonderful!
I do have the root still there - The mega question is whether they are able to re-crown it. This is the second tooth I have accidentally broken this year - I am told that neither is age or diet related. That my bones wont collapse if I fall off the mare.
But the dentist is (maybe rightly) nervous of recommending one to pay for a crown if they cant be sure it will endure. It is a question of "wait and see" - which seems to be what the insurance companies cant abide. They wont tolerate uncertainty. And I have been adamant that I wont have medical decisions rushed, in order to comply with travel insurance.
Isnt one comfort of riding that one takes control of an animal and has a response? Horses are obliging and adaptable -

If a wisdom tooth needs to come out, you will never get away with just a filling. It's usually about the space in the mouth, not the health of the teeth.

All over now! So don't beat yourself up, I don't think it would have made any difference if you had gone sooner.

^^^^ what she says.

I had a wisdom tooth out last year. After being restricted to a liquid diet for the week before (there was nothing wrong with the tooth, I was just chewing my gum) I was happy for them to do whatever was needed!

I didn't pass out in the chair....actually I remember thinking 'wow, that wasn't so bad'! But it obviously hit me after a couple of minutes and I passed out while paying :giggle:

Honestly I don't remember the pain afterwards being bad at all, it's just difficult trying to keep your tongue out of that hole in your mouth!

Another dentist dodger here! I had to have a tooth out nearly a year ago that I'd broken and then neglected to get seen to. It didn't hurt too much, easily manageable with ibuprofen, it was just awkward eating for a while!

It was a molar right at the back so there's no gap between teeth, in fact, now that I've had that tooth out my final wisdom tooth is growing through! It's a wonder a tooth fit in there at all.

I had all my wisdom teeth out (in hospital, under general) last year. Not nice, I was in quite a lot of pain for a couple of weeks. And like Skib one of my teeth broke just before we went to Spain two weeks ago and I hastily had to find a dentist and get it fixed! Both my parents are dentists, although retired now, I like to put the fear into dentists by actually understanding what they're talking about, mwahahahaha!

I had all my wisdom teeth out (in hospital, under general) last year. Not nice, I was in quite a lot of pain for a couple of weeks. And like Skib one of my teeth broke just before we went to Spain two weeks ago and I hastily had to find a dentist and get it fixed! Both my parents are dentists, although retired now, I like to put the fear into dentists by actually understanding what they're talking about, mwahahahaha!

Now they would have been the perfect parents surely?! I have a lifelong fear of dental work until recently, so it would have been fab if either of mine had been such:smile:

newrider.com