Feeling so upset and guilty :(

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
I had the dentist out to Kels yesterday - the other livery booked it as she knew her horse needed attention and Kels hasn't had hers checked since May 2007.

Anyway, as I'd got the day off work, I spent some quality time with her while I was waiting, and forgot to go to the cashpoint, so when the dentist arrived I asked if they'd look at Kels first to see if she needed anything doing, and if she did I could nip and get some dosh while they were doing the other horse.

The assistant put the gag on, her hand disappeared up to the elbow, then she called "Hey, ****, come and look at this!". My heart came into my mouth, and they said not to panic, but apart from the expected hooks on her fronts, one of her backs is worn down to the gumline. They want her sedated before they sort her out because there's quite a bit to do, and they can sort her out. They asked who checked her teeth last time, but I don't know.

So all her issues have been explained now: she puts her tongue over the bit, is very unresponsive on the left rein, she throws her head all over the place when I try to bridle her (even with her new crossunder bitless), she's started messing about having her headcollar put on, and sometimes plays up being led back to the field. In fact, the only time she behaves every time is when she has her rope halter on, so obviously this is the only item of headgear she finds comfortable at the moment.

They said that I mustn't feel bad because this problem has been going on for more than eighteen months. The sensible side of me says that it's not my fault, because a) I didn't own her last time she was checked and b) even if I had owned her then, you have to trust so-called experts to take care of your animals, as her previous owner did, but I can't shake the feeling that I've let this wonderful horse down.

It's a testament to what a brave and willing horse she is, because it's like she's been saying "Look, I don't want to be a nuisance, but my mouth's very uncomfortable, and I'd really prefer not to have anything on my head if that's OK with you" instead of biting, rearing, bucking, kicking or any other equine forms of protest.

I'm quite pleased about my confidence crisis at the moment, because at least I haven't forced her to do anything that hurts her.

Cookies and hot chocolate for reading. :)

eighteen months. The sensible side of me says that it's not my fault, because a) I didn't own her last time she was checked and b) even if I had owned her then, you have to trust so-called experts to take care of your animals,

If she hadn't been seen to for over 2 years, then you don't need to check first - it would be extremely unusual for her not to need some work. If you've had her for 18 months, you should have had the dentist a couple of times by now. Depending on the age of the horse & whether you use a bit & whether she gets sweetfeed, etc, horses should be attended by a dentist every 6-12 months.

I agree tho, it's not your fault as such, and considering how many points of care are overlooked even by 'experts', I couldn't begin to blame new horse owners for any ignorance on these kinds of matters. How are you supposed to know better if no one tells you?? But the horses in your care rely on you for their care, so don't blame yourself or feel bad about it, but learn from it & learn all you can about this & other essentials of horse management for the future. On that note, you definitely don't have to, & should not just blindly trust the 'experts'. Just because they may see themselves as experts doesn't mean they're necessarily any good. You need to learn enough to have a fair idea of the quality of work & knowledge of your chosen professional, be they dentist, vet, farrier, trainer or otherwise.

You can only do what you can too. I thought I'd learned what was necessary & I was diligently looking after my boys... but have a pony on lease & his owner specified a certain(expensive) 'master' dentist, who checked my boys & asked how many years since they'd been done!!! It seems that as with anything else, equine dentists are created far from equal & I will be definitely choosing the very good, highly recommended ones over the cheaper, local choices in future!

For me its part of their routine - I get it done with their vaccinations - annually. Arnie has problems with his mouth so he sees the dentist every 6 months.

If you've owned her for 18 months then sorry but yes, it is your fault. If you've owned her (or been responsible for her) for over 12 months then you should have got it done.

Saying that, its done now and I suspect you wont make that error again:). Good luck with your happy horsey:D.

Horses tend to teach us hard lessons - learn from it and move on - dont beat yourself up about it. At least its all sorted and you and her can move on happily:D

Thanks for that!

I'm starting to feel a little bit better now. Onwards and upwards as they say. At least I've got a dentist (and a farrier!) I can trust now, after lots of searching and letdowns.

Sometimes being a nervous nellie actually helps our equine pals, doesn't it! I'm just so thankful I wasn't riding her now I know.

Actually, this is another one of those changes we oldies keep talking about - back in the day, we used to hack our horses to the blacksmith in the village and he'd check their teeth were OK at the same time as shoeing and fix any problems, so teeth weren't something we had to think much about.

*Wonders if here are any old school farriers/blacksmiths that do teeth left*.

ETA Ooops - I've made myself sound a lot worse than I am - I got her in January 2009, so it would have been May 2008 when she was last checked, not 2007. Blame my advancing years... Still feel terrible though.

Last edited:
newrider.com