Feeling pretty low

princessmolly

Jan 29, 2008
Norfolk
Hello,
When i bought ginny she was sold as green which she is. She was previously trained to trap but was stopped for some reason. Shes is a genrally incredibly nervous horse and only really trusts me. In the school she rushes everything and will wind herself up canter on the spot etc. I took her to my local riding school today as im good friends with the owner, and a few knowlegable horsey people were there. For months i couldnt work out where her problems came from but one of the ladys came to the conclusions that as she was taught to trap she was taught to just go continueusly so everything she does with schooling she does at a fast pace. I have totaly lost my confidence schooling, hacking her im fine as shes well behaved. I feel so sorry for her as i think she has had a really tough life before. They think with correct schooling and teaching her how to do things she will make a great pony. Has any one had a troubled horse schooled succesfully, and is there any advice you can give. Thanks

I have had a number of driving ponies that had not previously been ridden and they all tend to be sharp initially under saddle. They usually are great after a bit of work., My daughters old dressage pony wasn't broken to saddle until she was 10 but is one of the best ponies we have ever owned.

You see them dont you running the horses up and down the roads in the trap going like the clappers. :( Poor things.....

You mustnt be sad for her now though. She has found you and you care and will turn her into a smashing little pony. Hard work, determination and love that is what she needs and you are just the person to do that for her. :)

It's sad that you feel so down about it all.
You said she trusts you, that's brilliant and IMO you're half way there. If you enjoy hacking then keep up with that -It's working!
As for schooling maybe a gentle walk around before a hack? Literally 2 times around then back out again. If schooling panics her this will be a great way to let her see the school isn't scary.
How is she to lunge? It maybe worth lunging in the arena and getting her used to walking and stretching down and listening to your voice.

Good luck

My horse wasn't broken to ride properly, she was a taxi pony in Blackpool until something went wrong. When I started riding her, her balance was terrible and she wasn't confident about doing things with this strange weight on her back. I had to teach her everything from scratch, canter was the funniest, she just trotted faster and faster :rolleyes: when she eventually broke out of that she went at a flat out gallop :rolleyes: Then I moved her to somewhere with a school, she did the same, charge around all the time. She also went straight into corners and didn't know how to bend. I did a lot of loose schooling and loose lunging with her, lots of bending in walk and slow schooling. I taught her to take it steady in canter on hacks before even attempting in a school, as I thought it may be too much for her. Then I spent quite a while literally carrying her with my legs to keep her in canter.

My mare hadn't had a bad past, just a different one. She still had to learn to trust me and me trust her, she had to learn from the beginning. She has a very strong working and pleasing mind, probably from being a working horse, and now 4 years on, I'm very proud of how far we have both come, and together.

I think what I'm trying to say is don't rush. Take things very very slowly, if your horse has been broken to trap, she is used to pulling weight not carrying it, it takes a long time for them to re-balance and move themselves correctly. You said she is fine out hacking, then school out hacking. There is so much you can do. Maybe walk her round a school once or twice a week and praise her for doing so. Rhia (my horse) loved the school, because eventually it was a very fun place.

Good luck, and just take things slowly. It sounds like she needs some fun relaxing time getting to know you before going to "school". :D believe me, the result is better than any feeling you will ever have.

Hi
Thanks for all your great replys i feel much more positive about the situation.
emmathechief, she is pretty good to lunge she does get a bit sparky in canter but nothing too bad. I lunge her about once a wek in the school. Im just starting to lunge her over trotting poles which is going pretty well.

You have had some very positive replies on here which is great:D

Just a thought but rather than concentrating on schooling in the school, whilst you are out on a hack and come across a bit of a flat space try doing just a SMALL amount of schooling there and see how she takes to that.

To be honest you can do loads of schooling whilst out on a hack it does not have to be done in a school.

You have earnt her trust and that has to be a massive uplift for you......build on that and enjoy, don't worry too much about the schooling initially just carry on building the relationship making her happy. It seems YOU already have what lots of people would wish for.....a horse that hacks happily and you feel safe with, lots of people have horses that 'school' all day long but could not be taken out on a hack. ENJOY

Have FUN:D

newrider.com