Feeling guilty....

iluvhorses28

Jul 29, 2005
California
California, like many places all over the world is also experiencing MAJOR heat waves. For the past 2-3 weeks we have had humid, and extremely hot weather. So much so that lesson on Saturday mornings have been cancelled for the passed 2 weeks. (My lesson is at 9 am, but already it reaches about 105 degrees F!!!)

Last week, I declined taking lessons as I dont think it was fair to ride our horses at 105-110 Degrees...it was way too hot for both rider and horse.

Which brings me back to feeling guilty. I feel horrible not having ridden the horses for almost 2 weeks.... the weather has been awful hot that all I have done is turn them out to stretch. I am afraid my 4 yo mare who has done wonderful since her training, will turn sour. I am mostly concerned because my daughter rides her. And with th heat being so awful, less we ride in the late evening, which is not entirely possible due to home responsibilities.

Has anyone had this situation? I really feel awful that I have not been able to ride, but many friends say they will be fine, and they won't be sour to ride, that even a month would not make much of a huge difference.

But...still...

It's been hot and humid here in NY.... Haven't ridden Mister for a couple of weeks and turn him out late evening for a few hours, the flies are less and he gets a little sun before it sets.....
I feel bad because we have such few months of nice weather here... then it's winter again, but I go groom him or hang out with him as much as I can. Don't feel bad!

Thanks mandagirl!

I know...weather is very difficult to predict, sure there's no rain...but the heat is just as awful!And soon enough winter is here...then it's waaaay too cold to ride ! ARGH! We never win!

Like you, my days with the horses are...groom,turnout,bringing treats,bathing...that about it. My daughter is wimpering over not riding her horse, but it is just too darn HOT!

I am even as hopeful as thinking even having the weather hit the mid 90's is better than this!

Hi.

Don't worry about it. Even in Wales, UK, we have been getting some hot weather! Try to wait until the evening then lunge or long rein if possible. As long as it's not too hot and you are spending time with them in hand etc there is no reason for them to go sour.

Don't beat yourself up about it. They are probably glad of the rest. Years ago they used to turn horses away for a few months a year, shoeless etc, to give them time out. Just treat this as the same thing and try to have some 'time out' for yourself too!

I like riding in the fall... can't wait.. it's not so hot and the colors here in NY are fabulous. We do get some extreme weather conditions in the US! Now we're supposed to get 4-5 days of rain the rest of the week!!!!!
YUCKY! Maybe I'll be able to ride again next week if it's cooled down... I feel your frustration!

Aphrodite said:
Hi.

Don't worry about it. then lunge or long rein if possible. As long as it's not too hot and you are spending time with them in hand etc there is no reason for them to go sour.

Don't beat yourself up about it. They are probably glad of the rest.Just treat this as the same thing and try to have some 'time out' for yourself too!

Thank Aphrodite!

They do seem to appreciate the rest and saddle soff their back in this horrid heat! I GUESS I CANT BLAME THEM!

Maybe 3 -4 weeks off would really be not that bad.... they still get groomed and turnned out... just not ridden. And yes...it is also nice to to watch them graze...

newrider.com