Feeling a little nervous

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
It's a long time since I've had confidence issues with Raf but it's funny how quickly your confidence can desert you if you don't keep it topped up. For a long time I've not been able to do much with him, what with the Cushings, then the arthritis and the cough, which means we haven't done much more than walking hacks since last October. Now he's feeling fab in himself and he's over the cough we're ready to do a bit more. Today I hacked out with OH and Jack and Raf was so naughty. When we decided to try a little trot he turned into Tigger - not sure what he was doing but whatever it was made the saddle come up and hit me in the bum, which sent me inches into the air and every time I came back down, whack, it hit me again. Then he did a proper big buck, then he just couldn't walk without bouncing. Unfortunately Jack was lame so we had to walk home again (hope it's just that he's footsore after being shod, but we'll see).

I was supposed to be riding again this afternoon with a friend, and doing a more active ride involving a canter. I was bricking it because Raf usually bucks in canter anyway when he has excess energy to get rid of and today I was sure he'd buck me off if he wasn't allowed to gallop flat out. I was so glad when friend got held up at work and couldn't make it.

Dreading my first canter in company - think I'd feel better if we were hunting then at least I could just let him run with 'the herd' and get it out of his system.

Reactions: Jessey
I'm dreading my first canter with my new one. I cantered him when I went to view him but that first solo canter is going to be scary. Silly to be scared really, as I think nothing of cantering chunky.

Reactions: Gimp
Oh I know this feeling well. All I can offer is you know Raf. You know him inside out and every move he can and will do. You have sat it before and you will again.

But also just don't go or tell her you want to build him up slowly.only do what you are comfortable with for now

Could you lunge him to get the high jinks out? I don;t mean disciplined, schooling lungeing, I mean letting him buck and fart lungeing! I did that with Cally recently when she had had 10 days off and was just being totally over the top when I was trying to ride again. She had a few minutes of high energy lunacy on the lunge after which she was fine again. It's wonderful he's feeling so well but nerve wracking too!

Thanks @OwnedbyChanter I hope you're right. I have to get it over with at some point though ...

I didn't know you had ever felt like that, I'm surprised!

Goodness yes. I dig out the big girl pants when I hack in company with anyone other than my husband. Ginger is fit and strong I still have only manged one trot out hacking since I got back. Canter will be pant wetting lol. The first trot I asked for I got side ways canter for about 20 yards until I could get him back to walk. He just wants to go for it bit the ground was not good and he was in a happy mouth barrow I would never have stopped him. Lol

Reactions: Bodshi
Could you lunge him to get the high jinks out? I don;t mean disciplined, schooling lungeing, I mean letting him buck and fart lungeing! I did that with Cally recently when she had had 10 days off and was just being totally over the top when I was trying to ride again. She had a few minutes of high energy lunacy on the lunge after which she was fine again. It's wonderful he's feeling so well but nerve wracking too!

Yes it is both wonderful and nerve wracking lol. Unfortunately lunging is now banned (by the vet). Also unfortunately for various reasons he's on very limited turnout at the moment. This afternoon after his antics on our hack, YO said I could put him out in the small paddock next to the mares, whereupon he proceeded to postulate in front of them (alternately sniffing, porting and doing his best ballerina trot up and down the fence line), until they broke through the fence, so that wasn't a great success. I hope he's a bit calmer tomorrow though. Fingers crossed.

I'm sorry, I'm sat here chuckling at his antics, you gotta love an Arab whos full of beans :D but in all seriousness, is it worth a few days of a calmer like chamomile tea for a few days before the in company canter? Just to take the edge off him :p I assume you have adjusted his feed for less exercise already

I don't know what to say Bodshi, I've never imagined you to be nervous, you know Raf and you know you are a very good rider and more than capable of anything he throws at you, but I also know just how debilitating fear can be. I'm sure it's probably the thought of what he might do and once you've been and done that first canter in company both he and you will be fine, I've no words of wisdom except trust yourself and trust Raf and if it doesn't feel right don't push it.

Thanks @Jessey and @Kite_Rider. A calmer is an excellent idea. And I think you're right, I'll be ok once the first canter is out of the way. Must remember to jam heels down lol. Love my horse and love it when he feels so well so really I should be hoping for him to feel like that again, not dreading it.

Jessey we never did cut his food down because of his weight loss with rhe cushings and then because he was quite quiet for a while. He also had some haylage on Friday because he wasn't eating his hay. Doesn't normally affect him so much but now you've mentioned it I wonder if it's all played a part.

Reactions: Jessey
When I finally summoned up courage to hack Grace, I put off canter and we went mostly in walk for a month. Hard ground ruled out canter some of that time but I am glad to hear it isnt just me. And on a horse one knows well in the school.
Looking back tho there is a time element in the equation. I didnt dare hack Grace for over three months, during which time she had time to settle and me to get a grip and decide that unless I hacked her, I was never going to go on riding at all. The first canter out hacking on any horse is a bit of an unknown quantity. But one can time it, and if Spring is a bad time for excitement, leave it till the heat and torpor of summer? You arent obliged to do it right now.

I haven't cantered the madam for three years! Not sure if I ever will again.....
Lots of confidence / you can do it vibes @Bodshi
You are one of NR's proper riders - lol so I know you will be confident again in no time! Meanwhile feel free fo have membership to the wuss club:p (of which I am a member:D)

Thanks @Skib. You are absolutely right of course, I would advise anyone to take it easy until they feel ready, not sure why I wouldn't apply that to myself! I'm so glad you have found Grace and that you are enjoying hacking again. @Trewsers, you are so kind. I'm definitely not a proper rider lol, I'm the black sheep on the yard - the one that can't be bothered with riding their horse properly and just has (horror of horrors) .... fun :)

After all that build up, I got on Raf today and he was completely different, very calm and laid back. Went out with a friend who has been trying really hard to ride her pony 'properly' and was a terribly bad influence. We both just pottered about enjoying the afternoon sunshine, which was a lovely and rare treat. We had a couple of canters which were entirely unremarkable, despite the fact that her pony had been a bit of a nightmare and had taken off with her last time she rode him, cantering down the road with no brakes at one point.

Maybe it was just a touch of Spring in the air? Funny what a difference a day can make. I still think that one day I may have to tackle 'full of beans' Raf and a canter in company, but I can put it off for a while at least!

Thanks @Skib. You are absolutely right of course, I would advise anyone to take it easy until they feel ready, not sure why I wouldn't apply that to myself! I'm so glad you have found Grace and that you are enjoying hacking again. @Trewsers, you are so kind. I'm definitely not a proper rider lol, I'm the black sheep on the yard - the one that can't be bothered with riding their horse properly and just has (horror of horrors) .... fun :)

After all that build up, I got on Raf today and he was completely different, very calm and laid back. Went out with a friend who has been trying really hard to ride her pony 'properly' and was a terribly bad influence. We both just pottered about enjoying the afternoon sunshine, which was a lovely and rare treat. We had a couple of canters which were entirely unremarkable, despite the fact that her pony had been a bit of a nightmare and had taken off with her last time she rode him, cantering down the road with no brakes at one point.

Maybe it was just a touch of Spring in the air? Funny what a difference a day can make. I still think that one day I may have to tackle 'full of beans' Raf and a canter in company, but I can put it off for a while at least!

Sorry @Bodshi but you are in my eyes very much a 'proper' rider! All the stuff you do with Raf I don't know how you can't believe that.
Glad all went well and glad Raf behaved for you, one thing I'm sure we are all familiar with is that no two days are the same with horses that's for sure. :)

Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers
newrider.com