Feeding Regimen Help - Beet Pulp/Crappy Hay???

DailyNhtly

Mar 6, 2005
United States
Okay, all of you taking an interest in equine nutrition --come on over! I've got some questions for you:

I will be coming on board to take care of 23 horses (and 1 mule and 1 goat --yeah, a zoo!) in the next few weeks. The horses (and mule) will be working about 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, under the hot Alabama sun doing some trails (nothing too nasty but some big hills are involved) and riding lessons (mostly intermediate so no 4 foot courses, etc).

Currently they are working as trail/guide horses but it seems that their workload will increase a bit when they get to me. They are on pasture (well, what's come in at this point), as well as free choice of hay (Timothy, Orchard, Bermuda) ...decent hay. They are also supplemented with a bit of 14% Nutrina pellets.

Now when the horses come to me, they will have grass --for about a week until they eat it down. There is absolutely no way to rotate, so unfortunately they will be on a dry lot with round bales; however, these bales are like last cutting from last year, and basically although safe, have absolutely no nutritional value --time killers, basically.

So my question(s) to you: Speaking from a health and cost perspective, what are my feeding options? Mom and dad do not approve of any sweet feed/pelleted mixes which means I have to feed the 14% as it's the only thing available to me in purely pellet form. I was hoping to start with 12% and change over to 14% for a few horses here and there, if need be, but now I will be with the 14% for everyone from the start. Does it make sense to any of you out there to feed a reduced ration of the 14% (since these guys are coming to me in shape and already working --as opposed to those types that have sat all winter in a herd of 200 and fattened up) and use beet pulp to mix in with the pellets to:
a) add some calories for anyone that might need them without making anyone hot
b) substitute some calcium, etc to make up for what they will not be getting from the 'forage' portion of their diet

I've had issues in the years past where I simply had to stop using horses because I could not keep (what I thought was) sufficient weight on them. The only thing at my disposal was the fall back corn oil but I'm thinking I may be able to slide the beet pulp through the budget if I can pass it off as 1) a dilution to the grain and 2) an additive that will help decrease grain rations even more due to the nutritional value it will be giving in place of the **** hay.

Okay, sorry for the novel, just wanted input. I don't mind the 'hassle' of the beet pulp (I actually don't see it as any hassle) and I've done enough research that I feel completely comfortable feeding these horses beet pulp without fears of 23 seperate cases of choke, I'm simply looking for some input on the nutritional/cost side of the issue.

Oh, and if anyone, *anyone* knows anything about mules, their nutrion, etc... please let me know, I'd love to pick your brain!

Thanks so much guys,
Laura

Hey Laura, sounds like you are going to be having a busy time in the next few weeks !! :)
Being this side of the lake I am not sure what you refer to by the 12% and 14% pellets, I am assuming this is a complete grain ration :confused:
Beet pulp is a good source of fibre and also does have some nutritional value if you get the good stuff (A friend in Montana buys it straight out of the factory as a by product and it has not been treated in the same way the bagged products are) beet pulp is a very cost effective way of providing high quality fibre etc and if the Nutrina has all the vitamins and minerals they need these should work well together, beet is also great for weight gain/maintainence. This web page gives good info on the nutritional aspects of various feed stuffs - http://www.ingredients101.com/specification.htm someone else on here enlightened me to this site.
Hope thats of some help.

Jx

It is a complete feed, the % simply refers to the protein content. I agree that the pulp will be a good calorie adder. Unfortunately, although they are on Nutrina now, I will be feeding them some home grown co-op mix ...but at least it passes the state inspection (for whatever that is worth)...

Keep those replies coming! :)

I would advise changing their diet gradually over a period of a few weeks. A sudden change like you are suggesting could cause colic.

I'm in England and have event horses on 1 scoop mollychop (like a chaff with molasses added), one scoop barley, 1 scoop sugar beet (quite wet beet though), 1/2 measure of top spec (vitamin suplement), tbsp garlic and 50ml vegetable oil.

All horses keep condition really well.

A gradual change is essential though.

Yes, of course the change will be gradual. As I said, they're on just a touch of the Nutrina at the moment, when they get here in May, they will first be out on pasture, then brought in and as they are condidtioned for the two weeks before their work begins, will go from a 1/4 scoop twice a day to whatever is needed (I'm hoping no more than a half to 3/4 of a scoop). Probably near the middle of their first real week I'll start adding in smaller amounts of the beet pulp. Any thoughts on that plan?

newrider.com