Feeding Babies :)

SavingGrace

Jun 27, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow...
Ok...

So Alfie will be coming to me weaned and started on hard feed... The breeder has suggested I take along a bag of what I plan to feed him to start him on it straight away!

My issue is what do I feed him? I was planning on trying him on the Suregrow as he is quite porkly just now and I don't want him getting anything that will put lots more weight on him. Plan is to feed him this along with some watery beet pulp and some chaff?

I have heard good things about suregrow, your other option is just hay with a tiny bit of chop and a vit supplement if he's a bit porky

Ditto Shandy.

My weanling was fed suregrow until spring.Her weight gained with the spring grass, so since then ive just fed a vit and min powder (surelimb by dodson horrell) mixed in with a little low sugar chaff.

Will put her back on suregrow over winter with alpha A and plenty of hay (living out 24/7).

ETA: It might be worth feeding him pink powder for a month. It contains live yeasts which are said to help the benificial gut bacteria of horses undergoing stressful situations such as travel, change of routine, weaning.

When are you picking him up? You must be so excited!

Last edited:
I have fed my youngsters D&H youngstock pellets or mix rather than suregrow and have had no problems with either (other than knocked over buckets from impatient feet).

Suregrow does have good reports but is relatively expensive. But if you are feeding a vit/min supplement, beet for slow release carbohydrate and chop too then suregrow may be the better option.

You don't want to overfill his little tummy though, and I tend to give half the cubes in with their feed and the other half in a decahedron ball which also keeps them occupied and stops them bolting the feed as you can put a little more chaff in.

newrider.com