Feeding advice for yearlings?

vikkig

Jul 26, 2007
my belle is nearly one and i am wondering about her feed, at the minute she gets allen page fast fibre, hoofkind and 365 complete feed balancer.

She is so funny looking shape wise and today when grooming her i noticed that she very skinny around the chest area. she also has no energy doesnt run around as much as the other yearlings. bless her

so what do you feed your yearlings and why

she lives out 24/7 on decent grazing.

Darcy turned 2 last week :)

When she was a yearling I fed Hifi original, spillers stud cubes (not a lot) and did feed blue chip but changed to 365 complete on your recommedation :D

I have just changed her from stud cubes to high fibre cubes as didn't want her on youngstock feed too long.

I would prob leave her as it is for the summer, give her time to fill out then if the summer grass hasn't done it then look again in autumn/winter to give her a bit more. Darcy has only filled out in the last 2/3 months she has big shoulders now but was scrawny before :)
xx

I always kept mine basic, a good quality chaff plus a vit/mineral supplement, I also used limestone flour for added calcium for good strong bones :p
Lots of fibre and the right vits and mins are the essential bits.
I wouldn't worry too much, some youngsters are just more chilled out than others and most of them go through scrawney stages when they are growing upwards, then they go outwards again after :D

my belle is nearly one and i am wondering about her feed, at the minute she gets allen page fast fibre, hoofkind and 365 complete feed balancer.

She is so funny looking shape wise and today when grooming her i noticed that she very skinny around the chest area. she also has no energy doesnt run around as much as the other yearlings. bless her

so what do you feed your yearlings and why

she lives out 24/7 on decent grazing.

Hi i am new to this site so please bear with me if get things wrong
I bought a yearling filly last year and she was going thru the ugly growing stage so i decided to try top spec but that didnt have any effect at all
Have now had her on dodson & horrell ultimate balancer with great success ,she now looks like a 3yr old with a nice top line and overall looks loads better she is out during the day and in at night and only gets the balancer and hay
The only thing is the balancer does not smell the greatest and is very herby
hope this helps

Hi i am new to this site so please bear with me if get things wrong
I bought a yearling filly last year and she was going thru the ugly growing stage so i decided to try top spec but that didnt have any effect at all
Have now had her on dodson & horrell ultimate balancer with great success ,she now looks like a 3yr old with a nice top line and overall looks loads better she is out during the day and in at night and only gets the balancer and hay
The only thing is the balancer does not smell the greatest and is very herby
hope this helps

many thanks i will look this up, i think i am worrying as the other yearlings are looking more filled out and nice compaired to her, i know she is just an ugly duckling at the min and it will change, she is the biggest so i think she is taking longer to grow into herself

my 2 welsh yearlings(1 section a and 1 section c) are on grass(poor) 24/7, with some haylege daily and once a day feed on suregrow pellets.they get 500g each of this but dont always eat it all.

My yearling looks awful... its just a stage in their development unfortunately :rolleyes: They tend to get very narrow and grow then fill out a little before growing again.

As long as she is not ribby and has a decent covering over her rump the grass should do the rest :D

newrider.com