Feeding a young TB-opinions and advice please

Skint

Sep 30, 2004
Swindon England
Visit site
Our 16hh 4 yr old (actually 4 in March) TB Bella was quite thin when we got her in Nov 07 but is now looking pretty good. We currently feed:

Breakfast
1 scoop Sugar Beet
1.5 scoop Livery Mix (don't like this but feed shop had no Economy Mix or Horse n Pony Mix)
0.25 scoop no.4 Top Line Conditioning Cubes

Dinner:
1.5 scoop Sugar Beet
1.5 scoop Livery Mix (see above comment)
0.25 scoop no.4 Top Line Conditioning Cubes
1 big scoop Mollichop Showshine

plus ad-lib hay and grass depending on whether in or out.(ie grass in field during day,unlimited hay in stable at night)

In very light work, walk and trot hacks 1 or 2 times a week. This will increase and cantering and a bit of schooling and jumping will eventually be added as the nights get lighter.

What do you think of this diet? It has been fairly successful at getting the weight on through the winter, but I am really open to suggestions or improvements that anyone might suggest. Should we be making any changes to it as spring kicks in?

Thanks for reading my ramble!

personally i would drop the mix & up the cubes.

my lad is a poor doer, he gets;

safe & sound[ he likes it:eek:]
top line cubes
black sunflower seeds
copra meal[ just starting this]
sugar beet
vit & min supp.

hes looking fantastic on this right now:)

he went from this

P1010524.JPG

to this in a year

S7001275.JPG

Hiya,

The diet seems a fairly good one - how is her temperment?
As she is a TB I would be hesitant to up the concerntrates ie. the mix or cubes - because you run the risk of 'hotting her up'.

Why dont you add some chaff or Readi-Grass, might be an idea?

I have a 17hh TB Gelding who gets:

Breakfast (the same for Dinner)
Three quarter scoop of Dodson&Horrell Pasture mix
1 scoop of Dengie Hi-Fi (in the Winter is AlphaOil)
1 scoop of Readi Grass
Half a scoop of Sugar Beet
Horse/pony nuts in his Likit-ball
Plus Ad-lib hay at night (about two full large hay-nets)

He maintains his weight come Winter or summer very well

Hi Fizz,
I can't see the pics unfortunately, but have read posts by others on here about copra mix and have been intrigued. Is this something that could be bought at a standard feedstore? Is it a bit like Economy Mix?

Hi LawlessMissyD (Love the name!)
She's pretty level headed for her age, recently she's been a bit of a drama queen but she had an injured foot and had to stay in the stable and yard for 10 days so it could be that. Of course, we have yet to experience her seasons, having only had a gelding til now.

Both of your diets sound good, I will have to give it some thought. Thanks for replying

Have you also tried ringing up a feedline e.g Dodson and Horrel? They can give tailored advice to suit your horses requirements :)

I've also heard simple systems is good, I think HorseManiac on here used it for Percy as he wasn't in good condition when he came to her :)

x

Hiya, I have a tb too.
Simple Systems ace, however I had trouble keeping weight on my boy & have reluctantly swopped back to a conditioning mix.
I would suggest dropping the livery mix & sticking with either a conditioing mix or cubes. i don't think there is a need for the livery mix & conditioning cubes.
Sugarbeet always good. Could try non molassed version like speedi beet or simple systems purabeet, no sugar so less likely to affect her mentally! And better for digestive system!
I also find grass nuts as great for condition, they are high in fibre & protein.
Again they shouldn't affect her head!
x

when soaked copra meal is like bran mash in texture, if you Google it you should get the web site with a list of stockists. best to ask your own if they can get it as i found one who's not on the list:)

We have 2 TB's both ex-racehorses. One is 4yrs old the other is 7yrs old. The 7yr old came in very poor condition, was pretty underweight and only picked at his hard feed which didnt help!
We feed them both 1 scoop Alfa A Original and 1/2 scoop Fibre Beet along with a mug of Baileys Lo-Cal Balancer and the weight went on him really quickly and has stayed on all winter even with not much grass.
I find a mainly fibre diet works really well and has worked so much better for me than all the cubes and mixes you can buy.
Obviously you might want to feed larger amounts than I do. Our TB's only get this much as they are not in work at present if they were working they would get more and will when they come back into work in next month or so.
Hope this helps
Hannah x

newrider.com