Feeding a Weaner......Aargh!

Lovejoy

Apr 11, 2007
Kilmacolm
Hi Guys

My baby is 5 months and is just about to come off her mum. She's carrying v good weight (which I know will prob drop off come weaning and winter) but is still looking good justnow.

The breeder is obv feeding her at the mo as I take over after weaning. She gets 2 feeds a day that are: 1/4 scoop younstock mix, drop of sugar beet to get her wee system used to it and a wee bit of chaff.

I contacted Spillers who say that she shoud be getting 1 and 1/4 scoops per day which seems loads and my nutrition book says she should be getting 2 and 1/2 scoops per day. AAAArgh!!

She is Hanoverian x TB

Help Help Help!

Well what they actually said was 1/2 lb of feed for every month she is so x 5. Didnt know they had wee scoops tho. Oh Dear that'll confuse me even more!

[QUOTE=

I contacted Spillers who say that she shoud be getting 1 and 1/4 scoops per day which seems loads and my nutrition book says she should be getting 2 and 1/2 scoops per day.

Hi, some feeding recommendations for youngstock feed tend to be aimed at TB's, especially TB's in prep for sales.

The quantities that are recommended are a bit too much for a non-TB foal/weanling, for this reason, i prefer D and H's youngstock feeds such as Suregrow and mare and Youngstock Mix that are designed for part bred types,and to be fed in smaller amounts than some other y.stock feeds.

newrider.com