Feeding a pony prone to laminitis.

Lilly Harvey

Owner of above
Oct 14, 2001
KIngs Lynn, Norfolk, England
Visit site
Hiya
as you may have read recently, my pony has gotten over a bout of laminitis.
so I was wondering what I should be feeding him, do any of you in the same situation have any hints and tips on preventing another out break.
The pony is in most of the day, but with access to a starvation paddock, and in at night, and feed on:
2 handfuls of high fibre chaff
ad lib hay
and straw from his bedding.

Any help would b appriciated.

Dolly is on Happy Hoof as it is reccomended to help keep laminitis away. It's very low in protein and high in fibre, and comes as a mix, so keeps her wonderfully happy, with a nice glowing coat.

When my 2 shetlands were recovering from laminitis they got very similar to what you describe - lots of hay and a couple of handfuls of low-cal chaff. Now they are fine (this was last spring - so far this spring has been ok....fingers crossed) they get non-heating pony nuts, low cal chaff and/or speedi-beet (as it is laminitis trust approved) if they ever need feeding for any reason.

We use Dengie Hi Fi + Top Spec.com supplement, and turn out in a normal field with a grazing muzzle on during the day which is taken off over night and put back on in the morning. He is out 24/7 with his friends and is much much happier in himself, despite the grazing muzzle which does take a little while for them to get used to.

My Cob had a very mild case of Laminitis last year, and following the above routine no problems this year at all, and he has lost weight also.

Good luck

newrider.com