Feed Troubles.. being economical but not tight!

kt_luvs_Silver

crazy horse fanatic
Aug 27, 2008
I might be getting a 15.1 tb 10yo if he passes the vetting and im thinking of what feed to use. The owner used balancer and chaff and sugarbeet at the mo but balancer is sooo expensive! so are ther any alternatives that are cheaper but doesnt compromise the nutritional value as Tb can lose weight in winter. He will be ridden everyday a week except for one day off and will go to competitions for SJ and Dr when we can afford it, in the week he will be schooled and hacked out. Any advice?

I agree with Shandy84, balancers may look expensive but when you ork out the daily cost they aren't bad. To get a full vit & min level you have to feed a lot of normal feed or add a supplement - neither option is cheap & the first may give you a very hyper horse!

Some balancers include extra goodies - I know Top Spec Comprehensive includes hoof & joint supplements & can wholeheartedly vouch for the effectiveness of the hoof supplement :)

I agree, find out what he is being fed at the moment and try and keep him on the same so not to upset his digestive system.

Chaff, sugar beet and balancer, in my opinion, wouldnt be that expensive.

Believe me it could be a lot dearer!!!!

IMO if money is tight I wouldn't be buying a TB as they do tend to be high maintenance horses in every way, feed must be right, feet are often an issue, they need rugging up and normally stabling in winter and they do tend to be more accident prone than most.

Having said that we do have a few and they are great but do cost much more in terms of maintenance and vets fees than all my cobs and ponies put together:D

You could probably swop the expensive balancer for pink powder which can be used as a balancer andworks out v economical. I feed mine 16g per day and pay £13 for 700g. Have a look at the NAF website and perhaps compare the specs of the balancer that is being fed at the moment with PP.

try having a look on equineanswers.co.uk and look at the 365complete, i swapped to this after feeding my horse bluechip for a year, he has never looked better i swear by it.

IMO if money is tight I wouldn't be buying a TB as they do tend to be high maintenance horses in every way, feed must be right, feet are often an issue, they need rugging up and normally stabling in winter and they do tend to be more accident prone than most.

Having said that we do have a few and they are great but do cost much more in terms of maintenance and vets fees than all my cobs and ponies put together:D

My thoughts entirely eml. I have recently got my first ex-racer tb and whilst I love him to pieces, he's proving a LOT more expensive than my fatty coblet....

NAF pink powder will enable your horsie to make use of the other feeds you give them, it is very good and unusually for NAF very economical too. Ive always found Baileys Lo cal balancer very good too. Sugar beet (soaked overnight!) is the traditional cheap way of keeping weight on horses in winter.

Thanks for all your comments, money isnt that tight and he isnt a typical TB lol so cost wise everthing shuld b fine i just thought that Dodson and horrel balancer was more expensive per bag than baileys top line conditioner would that be a good feed? he certainly isnt at all hyper or anything.

you need to feed an incredible amount of topline to get the correct amounts of vitamins much cheaper and healthier to stick with a balancer or pink powder etc

When I had my arab on topline we went througha bag a fortnight which is more expensive than the balancer and it majorly hyped her up not good

If you look at how much you need to feed you'll find a sack of balancer lasts a lot longer than a sack of feed ;)

you need to feed an incredible amount of topline to get the correct amounts of vitamins much cheaper and healthier to stick with a balancer or pink powder etc

When I had my arab on topline we went througha bag a fortnight which is more expensive than the balancer and it majorly hyped her up not good

Now thats interesting... thanks guys!:D

newrider.com